Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Never Seen a Horse Quite that Colour

Hunter/showjumper over there >>>>>>

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/class...er-471399.html

One for Faracat
    Why go around, when you can go through? ~Old cob saying

Beau 17-5-1993 - 11-6-2018 My best mate. I owed you so much and I am so sorry we couldn't save you. Goodnight old friend.

Default Re: Never Seen a Horse Quite that Colour

He's super. A fleabitten grey with lots of fleabites. He could either be chestnut based (as the fleabites are chestnut) with Sooty causing the black pigment on his legs, or he was bright bay before greying out.

I wouldn't have a grey round here because of all the pink mud, however.......
    Why go around, when you can go through? ~Old cob saying

Beau 17-5-1993 - 11-6-2018 My best mate. I owed you so much and I am so sorry we couldn't save you. Goodnight old friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Faracat View Post
    He's super. A fleabitten grey with lots of fleabites. He could either be chestnut based (as the fleabites are chestnut) with Sooty causing the black pigment on his legs, or he was bright bay before greying out.

Faracat intrigued as to how you are so knowledgable with colours? Do you do it as part of a job?

No I'm just interested in it because long ago I had a super anglo arab (who is also to blame for me loving arabian and PBA horses so much) and he was bright bay but with a 'grey' tail. I wanted to know why he was like that and started to look into horse colours. I found that he had a 'gulastra plume' and that it was nothing to do with the grey gene, but related to the gene that caused him to also have a white sock and a blaze (sabino).

Here he is.

Weird but mine has a gulastra plume too (which Faracat identified when I put it on here) and is now for sale, directly above the fleabitten grey..! (At least on my screen he is) :-)

He is quite stunning

Just a very fleabitten grey, similar to greys who have bloody shoulders and blood markings I think.
    His winter coat/clipped coat from photos makes him look even more interesting.

We have one on the yard who is very fleabitten, depending on the colour he was before and how long it took him to grey out may be why his legs were dark - he could have been a bright bay.

Not sure if it's coincidental, but all the ISH's I have met who are fleabitten grey seem to be more speckley than other breeds!

Schoolmaster

He's beautiful. Would he have greyed out very quickly to be that fleabitten?

Veteran

He's stunning, if only! He's not a young 'un either, so I expect he'll not loose significant amounts of that colour?

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    He is quite stunning

Just a very fleabitten grey, similar to greys who have bloody shoulders and blood markings I think.
    Bloody shoulder/Blood markings are areas that fail to grey out and they don't need to be on the shoulder, fleabites grow in, so they are different.

He is only 13, so yes, I expect that he did grey out quickly.

Here's a horse with a blood mark on it's face, plus fleabites.

A very fleabitten horse (looks araby).

They tend to get more fleabites as they get older.