Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1419222324

Thread: 2017 Foals

Sport horse

Default Re: 2017 Foals

The two late arrivals.

Firstly this lad who's by rhwngddwyafon sambucco out of a Welsh part bred mare. Born 15th June.
    Xc

Z

And this little man born July 12th. Section D Ŕavenclaw Riley X Trofaryh Cadi

X
    You never realise how far you've come until you look back.

Never give up.

Veteran

Weaning plans... so how is everyone planning this? Especially those with lone mare/foal combos. I know it's a bit early but we are now having to get on waiting lists for wherever we want to go and whats on offer varies, so need to decide what I want for them. Past experience has always been with a group where mares are removed from the group as a whole. Going to be a bit awkward with just the one so would be great to hear ideas/opinions...
    Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.

Out to Pasture

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhorse View Post
    Weaning plans... so how is everyone planning this? Especially those with lone mare/foal combos. I know it's a bit early but we are now having to get on waiting lists for wherever we want to go and whats on offer varies, so need to decide what I want for them. Past experience has always been with a group where mares are removed from the group as a whole. Going to be a bit awkward with just the one so would be great to hear ideas/opinions...
    I've just the one foal. So I've introduced my old broodmare, who will be his nanny. He goes around the field now with two bouncers ! This weekend we picked up a yearling for company for him. The yearling is very quiet and kind so should be ok, although Franks bouncers haven't let them near each other yet ! His dam has been sold, so she will go to her new owners when the time is right.

He loves his nanny, and spends more time with her than his mum. I even caught him trying to suckle from her , and she encouraged him !

Veteran

My older foal is being weaned next week but the young one will stay on his dam through the winter. They will stay together as a group of 3 and then then mare taken away and babies will go in with a small group of 2 year olds next Spring. I strongly believe they need same-age company.
    There are usually people in a similar situation if you have space for another weanling. I'd take another one in on full grass livery for the winter, I'll probably put an ad on loacl facebook groups shortly

Sport horse

The two older foals will most likely be weaned together early october time at 6 months. Both, especially the filly are fairly independent so they'll be bought in and the mares put out.
    The youngest as he was so late will stay on his dam over winter. With the middle lad I'm not sure yet whether to keep him on his dam over winter to to wean him, it depends if she sells really
    You never realise how far you've come until you look back.

Never give up.