Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1318212223

Thread: 2017 Foals

Schoolmaster

Default Re: 2017 Foals

So sorry Equi it sometimes seems so unfair that those of us who who care so much and try so hard to ensure all eventualities are covered have the worst luck. X

Sorry to hear that Equi.

Thanks guys. I just feel this constant sadness but the mare is okay and that's all I can hope for. I have two healthy homebreds and next year we might consider looking at stallions again if my nerves can cope.

Sorry to hear this equi, how very sad for you though glad your little mare is doing OK

Veteran

Some lovely foals there everyone and a very nice looking little surprise BOGOF!!!

Equi really sorry to hear that it did not turn out well this time for this mare, but so pleased she is OK in herself and doing well given the issue she had.

For those of you with foals born with leg laxities/contractures hopefully they will quickly resolve. Ours was completely collapsed down onto his fetlocks when born and they have corrected far quicker than I would have believed. ;-)

Charlie's legs are already considerably better, but then he's a wee pogo-stick and boings around like a mad thing, so I'm not surprised! He's also a cheeky wee swine and already understands where scratchies come from, so I have a little shadow following me every time I'm around. He's already had a gentle smack on the chest for barging while trying to get my attention. Manners maketh foal, so they say. But he's already good at being touched all around the body, head and forelegs, and running my hands over his back legs isn't going to be far behind. When he's happy and calm with all of the contact, I'll begin with halter training. I like my foals to just drift calmly into it all with no fuss.

What do you guys do for basic handling/training?

For basic handling , I tend to stick to my routine. For the first few weeks the mare and foal go out in the day and in at night. This gives me the chance to get the foal head collar trained. Frank was one of the best, done in a day. Then he learnt to be led to as from the field. Once that's done , I work on touching all over . By 3 weeks he has led and been happy for me to touch all his legs and pick up his feet. Now he's out 24/7 . He always comes over for a scratch. We are working on reminding him that nipping isn't nice. He's getting it !

It really helped that we had the above, as when he was poorly it made life so much easier. I had to wash his bum a lot , and give him his medication everyday for 5 days. He actually loved him bum washed and would pick his back legs up as to say ' get that bit too '
    Last edited by Asha; Yesterday at 08:09 AM.