Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Schoolmaster

Default Re: Not bedding down wall to wall

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzzy Furry View Post
    I agree with QB, you really need to keep everything as clean as possible to prevent re-infection.
    Yes, possible to deep litter, but not for this type of box rest (IMHO)
    I agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by Welshie95 View Post
    I was thinking of pellets and shred type bedding so it's heavier and his legs are less likely to sink through as on shavings. I do a weekly deep litter on wood pellets now should I be changing this to daily muck out too? I HATE winter! I feel so awful for him he is so happy in himself and lives for his daily mooch out to pick some grass, cannot wait for it to heal up so we can turn out again Thank you all for your replies though, really appreciated!
    If I were you (and don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of pellets) I would switch off pellets for now - or at least off an entire bed of pellets - perhaps I am OCD, but with pellets being so fine and dusty and mud fever causing cracks and weeping - my personal preference here would be to get some good old fashioned good quality straw. Its the recommended bedding of choice for foaling a mare inside to reduce infection.

Last year I used pellet only, this year I went through summer (stabled each night) with shavings - as the weather turned damper I moved onto a pellet shaving mix... I found myself spending £80 a month for a bed that still kept going damp and icky. It was for economic reasons that I took the plung and went for straw - however, a big square bale costs me £30 and lasts for six weeks -six weeks of clean, dry bedding with a full muck out daily.

If it were me in your position - severe MF bordering on cellulitis, I would order in a big bale of good quality straw - do a full muck out and disinfect now, and put a big fresh bed down, fully muck out twice daily from now on. Remember - your horse is on box rest so in there 24/7 - that is a lot of a build up of urine and dung to only be mucked out once a day and again - once daily will create more of a breeding ground for bacteria and increase the risk of infection.
    All the sounds dear to a horseman were around me - the snort of the horses as they cleared their throats, the gentle swish of their tails, the tinkle of irons as we flung the saddles over their backs - little sounds of no importance, but they stay in the unconscious library of memory.
    Rest In Peace Ebony my horse of a lifetime 16.06.2012

SECRET SANTA CLOSING DATE: 31/10/2016

Veteran

You can achieve this with shavings - and for me I think the bed stays cleaner. But I do absolutely accept that it costs more.

I confess I do absolutely love a proper old fashioned straw bed - like we used to do them. Cross hatched and banked. There is something really magical about bringing them home in the winter and into a hock deep clean soft paddy bed. Ok - I was a kid. The pony was small and I only had to muck out on weekends - but its my perfect childhood memory!!

As an adult no-one seems to cross hatch any more. - or bank. The blasted ponies eat the straw and the whole thing is heavy, gets smelly too easily and takes ages to muck out. In contrast I get get a super clean fairly fluffy shavings bed which takes a fraction of the time and doesn't smell unless I really make a mess. To keep it clean enough for a mud fever box rest is going to cost a bit in shavings. I have a mud fever prone cob and although we haven't had to box rest for about 7 years because we have his management sussed now - we had to do so serially for 2 winters before that. Straw if wonderful. But if you can't manage - shavings do almost as well. But not deep littered for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkvboots View Post
    I agree with this I would want to be mucking out everyday for the cleanliness and also for his breathing as his in there constantly.
    This. The ammonia can build up & aside from the smell, it's an irritant. I would not like a horse with broken skin to be standing on a wet bed, even if it's a deep litter. I'd be mucking out twice daily & keeping fresh dry shavings.

I know how you mean as we had old stables like that - the solution was to just cover the whole damn stable lol

Veteran

I'm with those who advise against deep litter for severe mud fever/ cellulitis. You want the bed as clean as possible so, depending on finances, I'd either go for shavings or straw and have a nice, deep clean bed.
    O difícil está feito, e o impossível só leva mais tempo - Salgueiro Maia, 25 de Abril 1974

Schoolmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    You can achieve this with shavings - and for me I think the bed stays cleaner. But I do absolutely accept that it costs more.

I confess I do absolutely love a proper old fashioned straw bed - like we used to do them. Cross hatched and banked. There is something really magical about bringing them home in the winter and into a hock deep clean soft paddy bed. Ok - I was a kid. The pony was small and I only had to muck out on weekends - but its my perfect childhood memory!!

As an adult no-one seems to cross hatch any more. - or bank. The blasted ponies eat the straw and the whole thing is heavy, gets smelly too easily and takes ages to muck out. In contrast I get get a super clean fairly fluffy shavings bed which takes a fraction of the time and doesn't smell unless I really make a mess. To keep it clean enough for a mud fever box rest is going to cost a bit in shavings. I have a mud fever prone cob and although we haven't had to box rest for about 7 years because we have his management sussed now - we had to do so serially for 2 winters before that. Straw if wonderful. But if you can't manage - shavings do almost as well. But not deep littered for this.
    Shay, can you elaborate on what crosshatching a straw bed means? I've never heard the term before and it sounds interesting as mine are both on straw

I'd go wall to wall and put a six inch high board in the doorway.