Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arena Cost

Sport horse

Default Re: Arena Cost

Sorry to butt in here but can I ask you Lintel who you got your wood fibre from?

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    Sorry to butt in here but can I ask you Lintel who you got your wood fibre from?
    I got it from AW JENKINSON they have been brilliant - more than helpful with a few hiccups that popped up and the surface looks lovely although will need a good roll!

Sport horse

Right, thanks for that Lintel. Glad it has worked out well for you. You will definitely be glad you did it.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    Right, thanks for that Lintel. Glad it has worked out well for you. You will definitely be glad you did it.
    Defintley can't wait till we have properly spread out and rolled it... It did start off as hard standing into but has expanded into a mini arena hopefully I use it more than I did at my last DIY yard!

Sport horse

Our 30x40 fibresand and rubber cost 33k last year, not including haulage of stone and sand as we did ourselves. Then have had to add rabbit proofing to fence this year for about 500. (They were trashing it!!) Well worth every single penny. Our site sloped about 1m so a significant part of the cost was stone base levelling.

Has anyone built an arena on top of the soil? odd i know but we are on exceptionally well drained sandy soil that had been graded and levelled as all our paddocks are, so i wondered if we could just put a porous membrane down and then the surface on top?

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Baboo View Post
    Has anyone built an arena on top of the soil? odd i know but we are on exceptionally well drained sandy soil that had been graded and levelled as all our paddocks are, so i wondered if we could just put a porous membrane down and then the surface on top?
    Carpet Gallop advertise that you can do that (without the membrane, which is just there to stop sand seeping into the stone base in conventional construction) with their recycled material - I asked for if/when I move and they recommended 4" - 6" depth plus kick boards. https://www.carpetgallop.co.uk/
    The company has been formed from Empire Trading recycling who sold me the carpet fibre I have in my school, with the same man heading it up. He was very helpful and his price was less than half what I was quoted elsewhere.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Lintel View Post
    And I've just spent 1.5k on wood fibre area surface which is 8 inches deep all round.
    Sorry, I know you have already bought it, but having been there, done it I would never ever use wood fibre outdoors again. Wood + rain = rot, and mine rotted within about four years, as did that of a man who had his done at about the same time. You will end up getting rid, and paying more in the end to replace it.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by JillA View Post
    Sorry, I know you have already bought it, but having been there, done it I would never ever use wood fibre outdoors again. Wood + rain = rot, and mine rotted within about four years, as did that of a man who had his done at about the same time. You will end up getting rid, and paying more in the end to replace it.
    Aaaahh no don't tell me!
    No worries I did a good bit of research and due to the location of the house(terrible access- couldn't even get a 7.5t round) wood fibre was the best option being delivered by skip. There's a yard not too far from us has the wood fibre down and it's still going strong 10 years on so fingers crossed

Ooh following - hopefully building ours that size this summer x