Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Travelling - scared horse (and owner!)

You see I feel it is essential for horses to learn to travel well without sedation as you never know when you might need to transport them to horsepital for illness or serious injury. Mares and foals are often transported with the mare cross tied and the foal loose it is possible to pack the front of the trailer with bales to prevent the horse moving too far forward and safe if the horse bumps into it
    We have been helping a friend to travel her horse who freaks out one the trailer moves he actually prefers the partition in as he leans on it but we have started with him cross tied with the bar in (he hasnt tried to go over it) his option is to lie down in the trailer we have got him traveling about a mile now on thursday we will box him with a good traveller and take him a bit further but we have always taken him far enough to settle and get his balance before stopping and taking him off
    Last edited by windand rain; 22-04-17 at 07:28 PM.

Youngster

Surely the only way your horse could have got his head under the breastbar in the first place was from being tied too long allowing him to lower his head that far. Wouldn't tying shorter just be the answer? Or had he broke clean away?
    I love those quick release travelling bungee ties you can get, instead of tying up with normal head collar lead rope. They are short and allow you to quick release at tie ring end by an easy pull downwards on the release mechanism. Then because they are clipped to head collar you still have a short length to hold/lead your horse with should you need to quickly release a horse in this way.
    Good luck with your travelling problems, I hope your horse is okay in the future.
    Last edited by Corbie; Yesterday at 09:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

Good luck OP. I'd do some test runs in your driveway as Max has suggested. Cross tie short, huge haynet in front of his face and no breast bar. The horse has never (consciously) experienced a moving trailer. He will need time to work it all out. Once you can go up and down the drive and he doesn't move, then I'd reintroduce the breastbar. I'd also try and find a lorry to travel him in, so he can get used to the whole moving thing without being able to jump over anything.