Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Not slacking-multitasking

Default Re: Lameness woes, help! *Hoof pics for geeks*

thanks for the extra pic SF, it just shows how they were at 'best'.

I suspect it has a been a bit of a combination of factors with grass and less movement and it does seem that his feet might well be predisposed to doing that at the drop of a hat. I would get hold of your trimmer and discuss what best to do now and then ideas to try and stop it in future, or at least gently encourage them not to do that!

ruddy horse!

High upon a hillside stencilface's Avatar

I actually can't believe how much deviation there now is on that front hoof, I was so focused on his near hind flare I didn't pay attention to this enough clearly.

And yes, ruddy horse! One of these days I'll ride a sound horse, with any luck
    Last edited by stencilface; 20-05-17 at 02:40 PM.

Sport horse

Had a look at the videos. Does he normally move as he does in the trot video ? Although clearly lame he looks short and shuffly on bother fronts to me and as though he's avoiding landing with his heels. He looks like he's showing a lot of knee action, some do just move like that but if he doesn't I'd b thinking he possibly may be sore in both fronts. Obviously laminitis can show in that way as can bruising. We have had a long period without rain where I am and rock solid ground so maybe there is some bruising / concussion contributing.
    I hope u find an answer, it's hard going when there is an ongoing problem and it's hard to put your finger on the problem

Old nag

They look v long to me can you up his road work I would definitely prefer that to trimming a horse with his history personally. Realise that could be hard/impossible with new baby so trim if you have to but I really think self trimming seems like the answer with him if he came home from Rockley sound.

Thanks I'm going to try and up his work yes as much as I can, baby in a sling out with me in the week probably.

He's never moved that well, certainly has always been economical (if I'm avoiding the word lazy!) He has other issues behind which affect his movement in front, he actually started on alphabute last week on the physio recommendation to try to make him a bit more comfortable to work through his stiff action.

Basically feel like I'm fire fighting all the time as soon as I sort one issue another pops up, that's horses though I guess.

Not slacking-multitasking

Get the welshie driving, you sit in the carriage and tie him to the back, sorted .

And no he is particularly irritating as a horse, however you are not the only one with an irritating one, and it does make the rest of us feel quite lucky. I do the firefighting on myself instead the horse is fairly good (well broken now but old so permitted!)

Old nag

I agree this horse is particularly excruciatingly difficult! . You have my sympathy.
    Please like my Wobbleberry Challenge page on Facebook - SJ2Eventer which will document Cyprian's job change from professional show jumper to an eventer piloted by me who never has evented before!

I think I'm just not as good as getting things early and run into these problems.

I do find people with badly shod sound horses very annoying though!

The pony driving would be a liability, we definitely wouldn't stay in walk

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by stencilface View Post
    Basically feel like I'm fire fighting all the time as soon as I sort one issue another pops up, that's horses though I guess.
    I know that feeling all too well.

I'd still recommend getting that medio-lateral imbalance under control before walking hin on hard surfaces (see my earlier post re ringbone).

I'll get him trimmed asap, and walk work on the arena more perhaps, just feel now that a break has broken him more than rested him quite clearly!