Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Stray cat living in our garden

A quick update on our still resident stray. The plan to capture the cat soooo nearly worked. We fed s/he in the cat carrier entrance for over a week, then this morning waited until it had eaten most of breakfast before I grabbed the beast and stuffed a furious, hissing, spitting mass of teeth and claws into the carrier. We were just not quite quick enough with shutting the door so off it scooted leaving us with minor scratches and a very nasty smell. However, much to our amazement the cat reappeared this afternoon looking for food and ate two helpings and a saucer of lactose-free milk.

I thought we had possibly found its owner last week when I spoke to the vet - someone quite local had apparently lost a cat but when I phoned them the missing kitty had returned. Local FB groups, forums and ads in the petshop have also drawn a blank

So, we still have a resident moggie of unknown original or ownership. A bit like the feline equivalent of the 'Lady in the Van'!

From what i remember about the 'Lady in the Van' she stayed there until she died! LOL.
    Best call the cat Maggie after the actress in the film.

just make sure Cattypuss has dental kibbles,

Cattypuss is still living the life of luxury in the garden. Enjoying some very expensive kibble that will apparently take care of joints, teeth, urinary tract etc etc, along with his/her preferred wet food with jelly (the one with gravy was just not acceptable), some lactose free milk, fresh water and a weatherproof box with a basket and a thick fleece inside. Al fresco sleeping is preferred at the moment due to the heat, but 3 or 4 meals are still expected.

Wkiwi - I think you may be right - this cat is now turning into a long-term and slightly demanding 'guest'!

Veteran

Nice to see an update CF, it is very true that cats have us humans well trained. Have you been able to get any closer to him/her? You may find that when the colder weather arrives he/she may decide that living inside with you is preferable to the garden especially given the excellent cuisine on offer.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Lindylouanne View Post
    Nice to see an update CF, it is very true that cats have us humans well trained. Have you been able to get any closer to him/her? You may find that when the colder weather arrives he/she may decide that living inside with you is preferable to the garden especially given the excellent cuisine on offer.

My parents fed a timid stray cat for several weeks, eventually managed to get him into a basket and off to the vet. Vet gave him a long-lasting anti-biotic injection as we thought he might take off for a while, after his experience. He arrived home, the basket was opened near but not inside the door, so as not to terrify him. He has never been inside the house before but strolled out of the basket and straight into the house. He never left!

It sounds as if yours may be the same, OP, good luck!
    "Don't LET him do that"

Old nag

Why are you trying to catch the cat, does it need vet attention or do you simply not want it and want to take to CPL? My mum used to always have a stray knocking on her door, they were feral to begin with but feed them daily and eventually they started to wonder into the house - basically they ended up total lap cats who were the most friendly besotted cats we've ever had. Whenever one died from old age, within a few weeks the next one would be knocking on the door - it was like they were lining up waiting for their turn to become a house cat.

I'd just feed the cat regularly and maybe even give it a little bed in a shed so it can get shelter. You've done your bit of trying to find the owner - but if its not friendly, chances are it doesnt have one.