Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Saracen Releve soak or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
    That's fine if it's a personal view, which isn't shared as fact.
    I was taught much the same (although not quite so many years ago), but like many things, I've revised my view in line with advances in veterinary science, which have blown many an old-school theory out of the water.
    "Joy: All these facts and opinions look the same. I can't tell them apart.
    Bing Bong: Happens to me all the time. Don't worry about it."

“You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time."

Quote Originally Posted by ycbm View Post
    That's an interesting article which makes my original point very well. It says that the normal PH of stomach acid is 2. From what I have read, the PH of neat acid is 0 or very close to. That's a lot stronger. Which makes my original point to Auslander correct, that the stomach acid contains water, and the re-leve will swell in the stomach due to the liquid present.
    Since the acid isn't neat, isn't its neat acidity essentially a moot point. Or a moo point, if you watch too much TV and like to quote Friends?

From Google
    The most dorsal part of the stomach has the highest pH, usually close to 7, dropping to a pH of 3.0–6.0 near the margo plicatus, and reaching as low as 1.5–4.0 in the glandular regions.

“You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time."

I always feed it dry never had an issue .
    I used it for years .

Quote Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
    Cheers

Thanks all certainly must be merit to all these ideas as probably based on fact at some point or another. I enjoy learning different things as being 30+ years on horses it's changing al the time

Listen. Smile, Agree and then go and do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway!!!

I soak it, fluffs up into a lovely mash
    Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, I usually shut her up with cookies :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beastie View Post
    Wow! I will definitely be feeding it soaked! I've always soaked anything pelleted or mix regardless, I'll just do what I always do and make the next nights feeds up before I leave the yard the previous night.

Thank you that picture just shows what happens when the feed hits the moisture in their stomachs, no wonder you see a lot of colic these days?!
    You might find they will go smelly making them up the night before in the hot weather. If you have a kettle at the yard you could use that to make it soak faster. Mine has all meals soaked too, he choked couple of years ago, he is 38 now
    Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, I usually shut her up with cookies :-)