Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 12 weeks, bright and going to be big - what to teach her?

Invest in a little ramp or plank for the car. I don't think she should be jumping into or out of cars yet and she'll be too big to lift soon.

I like hand signals, it's very helpful when the dog is at a distance. My lot are trained to recall on three pips of the whistle, very useful in the woods. The look at me and leave it command have been life savers for me.

Thanks everyone. I'm under no illusion that the real test comes in about 6 months time. That said, I was expecting the same with my rottie, and her teenage rebellion amounted to one growl in a moment of 'I don't want to get off the sofa'. I was displeased, she was chastised, and that was that.

Everything I do now is with the aim of avoiding that 'unexpected builder' moment. I have ignored the advice about keeping them in until 12 weeks, as that time is just so valuable to establish their social expectations. We live in an isolated spot, but with lots of people coming and going, including groups of excited children, and builder friends who have the use of our yard, so lots of odd noises too. Hopefully all this, and very stable resident older dogs, will be enough to raise a steady, friendly girl.

I know one thing; she'll never go near a chicken again... she accidentally went too close to one with the new chicks yesterday, and it attacked her the length of the yard - she was terrified, and squealed like an injured piglet!

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by pennyturner View Post

I know one thing; she'll never go near a chicken again... she accidentally went too close to one with the new chicks yesterday, and it attacked her the length of the yard - she was terrified, and squealed like an injured piglet!
    That is so funny, our broodies have educated many a dog and hound puppy about the perils of poultry!
    I must say farrier's dog is gorgeous, and when out with him is a lovely relaxed girl, I am sure you will have loads of fun with her. And no risk of burglars with her and a rottie!!
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

Veteran

From a veterinary point of view, get her used to having her feet, nails, ears, mouth etc touched.
    If you are thinking about brushing her teeth, start doing it now.

i you need to keep her mind occupied but without putting too much strain on her growing body- look at doing tricks!
    I have started them with my 2yo rescue collie. Great on days we have only shorter walks or I can't take her out while baby naps. She used to go to classes- and was exhausted, mostly mentally, after 30 minutes

you can teach skills that may be useful- but a lot of the tricks are just fun! really helps them use their brain. you can see videos on you-tube.

Old nag

scentwork-really tires them mentally and is a good game to have on hot or nasty weather days even when they are older. can be used to consolidate other commands too later on.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherOfChickens View Post
    scentwork-really tires them mentally and is a good game to have on hot or nasty weather days even when they are older. can be used to consolidate other commands too later on.
    How do you start scent work MoC? Not something I've ever done.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by pennyturner View Post
    How do you start scent work MoC? Not something I've ever done.
    I'll try and find some resources for you. There are several different ways to do it but the following was how we did it.

You start really basic-put a treat in an open box, let them get the treat on a command (search/find etc). Then several treats in several different boxes. Then 2 treats out of the several boxes-so they get the idea they have to search, repeating each stage until they are confident and consistant. You can then progess to luggage or furniture inside or out (be aware of how wind can affect them) and cars. I then started wrapping scented cloth (I use gun oil but you can use catnip/oil of cloves-just put in sealed jar with pieces of cloth for a couple of days at least) around treats and build up as before.

Pretty quickly you can change to scent only and reward at source and actually when you switch to scent only they focus much better ime. Slowly you build up their passive indication at scent so they hold it. I now use scented Ikea mice and rats and they have to find, retrieve to hand etc. I found it really helps things like sit/down/stay/directional commands as then the reward for doing the command is the fun one to look for the scent etc. Both of them love it-Quarrie's been doing it since he was 14 weeks old but I've seen younger puppies doing it.

Honestly, with that mix the most important things are probably around not scaring people (and other animals).

So, the leave-it needs to be 100%; get her to do sit/down/return to heel from a distance away from you. And, later, also respond to commands form other people. Mine is not anything like 100% on this (although improving) but, worst case scenario, can be picked up and moved by anyone as approx cat-sized!

Plenty of useful cute tricks possible too... I like getting them used to backing around obstacles for when we end up on opposite sides of things mid-walk on a lead. Then going to particular places (you can start with 'flat' agility, e.g. she doesn't have to jump on to anything yet, but can be asked to walk along, e.g. an old scarf or go to a blanket on the floor etc is fun and handy too.

On the not scaring people front, I thought I might teach her to carry her lead... who couldn't love that?