Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran

Default Re: Anxiety - first time hunt

Quote Originally Posted by ester View Post
    I've never heard anyone say that, all refer to the old fox packs as trail hunting to maintain the difference.
    Trail hunting and drag hunting are two completely different beasts - drag hunting follows a scent over a "course" of fences, and they have a number of "lines" of increasing difficulty.

Trail hunting has a man made scent, laid to mimic the route a fox might have taken in the old days - it produces a day much more like old fashioned hunting - you start earlier and finish later than drag hunting, but it is much less fast and furious.

Jumping is more or less optional - depends on the pack you pick and the country you cross - see my other post.

Not slacking-multitasking

Exactly hence I don't know anyone other than the above poster saying all hunting in the UK is drag hunting these days, that just isn't really the case.

Quote Originally Posted by KINDMARE View Post
    Please can anyone tell me if it is possible to go hunting without having to jump either hedges/fences or ditches?
    thanks
    The bloodhound pack I hunt with absolutely always have a non jumping option. We have a second field master so you don't have to go searching for a way round. Our master doesn't jump so although there are some amazing jumping lines for those who want to there is always a visible safe way around that isn't too far away.

It is worth posting your area to get experiences of the specific packs that you are interested in as they can vary a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzzy Furry View Post
    Our local drag hunt have a 'non jumping' 2nd field on some occasions, most likely in the 1st half of the season
    They are pretty good about putting this type of info up on the website - and also for example if its a meet not suitable for non-jumpers or novices.
    Thanks for the clarification!

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by KINDMARE View Post
    Please can anyone tell me if it is possible to go hunting without having to jump either hedges/fences or ditches?
    thanks
    I think you should be capable of jumping a small log and a straightforward ditch before you set out, you are bound to find a fallen tree over a track at some point that you need to get over, ditto a walk through ditch.
    You will find, once you are out and have had a good tipple at the meet and you and the horses adrenalin is up that you can achieve things you never dreamt possible!
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...