Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Veteran

Default Re: Move on or review and change?

I'm not sure I'd describe it as rewarding incorrect flashiness (generally, obviously the odd quirky judge does pop up having an off day), I would say that they generally reward correctness as far as they can see it according to the directives. I'm just not sure I agree with the judging system in general at the lower levels - I don't think it encourages development and training of the horse and rider in general, and therefore does little for the sport in general (though it does do wonders for the warmblood dressage market). The success of the likes of CDJ has inspired people to want to get involved in dressage, but that's no good if the entry levels of competition don't encourage progression in the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by DabDab View Post
    I'm not sure I'd describe it as rewarding incorrect flashiness (generally, obviously the odd quirky judge does pop up having an off day), I would say that they generally reward correctness as far as they can see it according to the directives. I'm just not sure I agree with the judging system in general at the lower levels - I don't think it encourages development and training of the horse and rider in general, and therefore does little for the sport in general (though it does do wonders for the warmblood dressage market). The success of the likes of CDJ has inspired people to want to get involved in dressage, but that's no good if the entry levels of competition don't encourage progression in the right way.
    for me, this links back to the discussion I started and Alex referenced, having the big trot/canter in novice tests really throws the tests in favour of natural megastars which can be off putting to the "average" rider. Very very watered down work in elem, and then suddenly BLAM all the sideways appears at medium when those of us who dare to have a bash at just nitty gritty training can recover some marks . It would be ... ?easier? ... for the average non-megabucks horse to develop in a structured way if this was shaken up a bit, I'd put LY in Novice for example, bring shoulder-in into elementary, it's such basic stuff that is essential to develop the way of going, flashy or otherwise.

Big yes to shoulder in at Elementary, it always used to be there, now the jump from Elementary to Medium is way too big. I certainly think that the lower levels prelim/novice it can be a showing class, as there just isnt that much to judge, so a natural big mover can have an advantage.

For an example, I did an Area Festival recently at Inter1, so three judges, and I have some experience of all the judges. So before I rode I thought judge 1 is a List 1 I respect as a positive, but not silly generous judge, and very experienced, I thought Judge 2 is on the harsh side with their marking, but spot on with the comments, and judge 3 is one I have no respect for as I have found them to be too erratic, and I feel I have no idea what they want to see. Now, this is only my opinion of these judges, I'm positive other riders will have different opinions!
    Judge 1 gave me 69%, judge 2 gave me 66%, judge 3 gave me 63%. I was very happy with my test, it was only my horses third test at this level, so he was a bit green and wobbly but he tried his best, made no major mistakes, and did some really good bits, in my head I reckoned it was approx a 68% test.

I read all three sheets, and found judges 1 and 2 to have very similar comments, judge 3 to be way off in a few places eg extended walk got 7, 7.5 and 5.5 from judge 3.

So I'm afraid all the judges conformed to my expectations, and I am happy to disregard the sheet from judge 3, but if judge 1 had given me the lower mark, I would have paid a lot of attention to it, and gone away to try and work on and improve based on their comments. So for me, it all depends on the judge as to how much attention I would pay to the sheet.
    [url]http://www.facebook.com/larkfielddressage[url]

Veteran

I take note of what they say especially if it's the same kind of thing cropping up in tests but I base my opinion more on how the horse felt.

I did an unaf event last weekend at a venue that runs BE events (relevant in that generally the standard is more or less equal to BE).

Dressage is currently one of my stronger phases and I thought my horse produced one of her better tests. Could of been more forward in first canter and transition to walk was a bit naff but beyond that she felt connected, swinging and just lovely. She generally scores 29-31 with a 22 at event prior to this. I felt this was a better test than the 22 which left her 1st after dressage at previous BE event so I was quite excited for my score.

I got a 37. A horse just after mine went above the bit its entire test and got a 39. After seeing video and sheet my dressage instructor said if it had been affiliated she would advise me to send both into BE because the sheet did not reflect the test at all and the judge didn't actually know the test - I was heavily
    Marked down in the walk which was 'Transition to medium walk at K. KEM free walk on a long rein' and the comment said show medium to E underlined twice 😳😳

I'm ignoring comments regarding to horse rushing and leaning as she really wasn't and my dressage instructor's opinion means far more since she coaches the junior team 😂😂