Yearling

Default Ringbone?? Sidebone??

My farrier mentioned a lump on my horses pastern today and suggested it could be high ringbone, but he hasn't felt lame? After some research I'm thinking it could be sidebone as he's a cob, already has some arthritis, and he is about 20 now. The lump is on his right fore between the front and outside of his pastern. Any ideas or advice as to what it could be??

Default Re: Ringbone?? Sidebone??

Best advice I can give is to chat with your vet.

Not slacking-multitasking

Sidebone is in the hoof as it comes off the pedal bone.

Schoolmaster

If your farrier has mentioned it, he must be concerned, that makes it likely he suspects ringbone. Get a vet to look at it.

Veteran

Definitely get the vet. My vet worked with the remedial farrier to help but it does need correct diagnosis first.

My horse has a side bone. Corrective work by my farrier has ensured he has never been lame and can still be a happy hack. A good farrier will add clips and build up the foot to provide best support.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpybob View Post
    My horse has a side bone. Corrective work by my farrier has ensured he has never been lame and can still be a happy hack. A good farrier will add clips and build up the foot to provide best support.
    I'm kind of looking at this sideways a bit... side bone is the calcification of the collateral ligaments at their attachment to the wings of P3; an external shoe (clips or not) is not going to affect this one bit. The only thing which will help to halt/slow down the calcification is perfect foot balance (which can't be achieved with shoes... for longer than a week or two at most).
    Passionate about Mérens horses