Default Horse not moving forwards and reacting violently

I am looking to see if anyone has any ideas as to what could be wrong with my mare? The Story: The last two times I've ridden my mare has slammed the anchors on, refused to move and reacted violently to my leg, kicking out and trying to bite my foot. She's usually a very forwards going ride so this is very unusual. After the first time, she was given 2 weeks off (partly because I was away) but I've come back and the problem is even worse. Walked around for 10 minutes on a long rein, doing gentle flexions and circles, then when I picked up the contact and asked her to step up into it, slammed the brakes on. It's not her normal very slight napping, but full on I cannot get her to move. I led her out this evening and she was over-tracking in walk as normal and rhythmically she's not lame in the trot. Previously under saddle she has been difficult in the canter to get to stretch down but we've so far put this down to relearning her paces over the last 18 months as it has been gradually improving...

I don't think it is a behavioural problem at this point - I've had her for 8 years so know her inside out, which leaves a medical problem. However she did a similar thing this time last year (which resulted in saddle being changed). She's having a massage next week and the physio should be coming out shortly after that, but does anyone have any suggestions?

My current thinkings include bone spavins in her hocks, stomach ulcers or kissing spine. She's a 14yo New Forest mare who's done a mix of everything but nothing too hard. Feeling slightly frustrated as I don't know what to do to help her
    Last edited by zblc015; 13-08-17 at 12:01 AM.

Default Re: Horse not moving forwards and reacting violently

What does your vet think?

Quote Originally Posted by amymay View Post
    What does your vet think?
    The only person who can "help her" is your vet it sounds as if she is in pain so cancel the massage and call the vet first.

Obviously the vet is due to come out next week, but my vets quite like you to do 'research' before hand to suggest what it could be (hence post). When she did this year they did bloods and tests along the ulcers route but the bloods all came back normal and she was back to her usual self and has been for 12 months. We see then fairly often when they come up to see other horses, and have said that they haven't seen anything which could indicate a continuing ulcer problem. Then they thought that the massage lady may have eased something off (hence why she's coming back out). If I can rule out a soft tissue injury, I'm hoping that we can get to the bottom of it with the vet. Absolutely certain that she isn't in pain on a daily basis (i.e. Doing normal horsey things) as walking out as usual, same appetite, condition etc, just when working ��

The massage may make her more comfortable but will not rule out anything and may make it more difficult for the vet to get a clear picture of what is going on, if you want to have her treated in some way before getting the vet then use a proper physio who is better qualified to rule in or out soft tissue or muscular issues being the root cause, massage is not deep enough to effectively treat problems and I would avoid doing it before getting the vet.
    If your vet wants you doing research and making suggestions that is all well and good but it can confuse things, I would get the saddle looked at as she may well have changed shape in the last 12 months and if it has not been checked recently that may be all she requires.

Old nag

She may be sore in her body or back but quite often this is caused by a lameness problem lower down causing her to compensate, I would be doing a full lameness work up but of course get the saddle checked and teeth done to rule out and also agree about getting a physio out to look at the horse rather than a massage person, they are so much more qualified and will pick up on so much more.

I would not be getting the horse a massage before the vet sees it .
    The vets needs to see the horse without anything being done that relaxes any tight muscles that are compensating for something that hurts .
    Get the horse a vet next week .

Veteran

How about getting someone to video the behaviour and show your vet?

Sport horse

It's definitely ulcers. The turning to bite your foot is classic. Not being able or wanting to stretch down can also be a sign. Why your horse has developed ulcers is something else. What do you feed?

Old nag

full work up by vet, look for ulcers or KS.
    A singular specimen of the scientific class aves contained within the boundaries of the upper prehensile is equivalently valuable as a double inventory of that item located in a low spreading thicket