Veteran

Default Dually or rope headcollar?

Quick question, a pony has arrived for a young girl at the yard, she is still learning, as are her parents. This little chap is pretty good generally but they are having issues leading in, with him taking advantage and diving for the grass. A bridle makes little difference, he's a tank! I know with a bit of training and practice on both sides this is a blip we'll get past, but wondered if a dually OR a rope halter may give them just a little more help right now, if so, which would you recommend? Thanks!
    Proud Member of Our horses and ponies have forever homes!" clique!

Default Re: Dually or rope headcollar?

I find I have more steering control in a rope halter with my mare
    A proud hi viz advocate and soon to be rider of my mare with hi viz.

Sport horse

Dually if they are taught properly how to use it and how to back the pony up etc.

Not slacking-multitasking

I'm concerned that if it is going through a bridle (with an adult?) neither of the suggested are going to make much difference in the short term. I lead mine in a rope halter for this reason (and frankly he's nicer with a muzzle on!) and to protect my shoulder but he wouldn't do it in a bridle. (We have been having the same 'discussion' for 12 years. He has never been allowed to eat!

Just backed

I am a big fan of the Dually.
    My boy was previously lead in a bridle which i hated. I find he respects the Dually, understands how it works and responds to it. It is also great for keeping hold of my horse when he is being cheeky. I use the Dually 100% of the time and haven't used a bridle since owning it.
    Big fan of them when used correctly!

Old nag

A traditional rope halter is easy to put on, no fiddling about with fancy fastenings, and does the job well. I use them on every horse, although 2 of ours respond better to a more 'elastic' one than a truly traditional. The draft horses respond better to a halter with only a little 'give' - otherwise they try to pull through it.
    For this cob in OP, I would suggest a firm halter fitted low on the nose and into the curb groove for the best control.
    Last edited by Pearlsasinger; 14-08-17 at 08:53 AM.
    "Don't LET him do that"

Veteran

Both a dually and a rope headcollar require some understanding to use it correctly. If you don't the horse will just cease to react to it - or massively over react. Neither of which help in the long run. What about the old traditional of wrapping the lead rope around the nose as a short term? Plus some suitable lessons on ground handling?

Edited to add: I prefer a dually if you can use it correctly. I do use both but the rope headcollars give a sensitive and nuanced "conversation" for ground handling. The Dually is more effective for tanks. Plus if you get a stiff rope headcollar or fit it wrong you can actually hurt the horse.

Rope halter every time, with a long lead rope, at least 8 foot. Instant release, light on horse's head, no faff, but strong and effective. Also about 1/4 the price of a dually.