Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Has anyone ever come across anything like this?

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    I posted a thread a few days ago querying the amount of bute my boy had been prescribed, and now I wanted to share with you the backstory to that to see if anyone has come across anything similar and what the outcome was.

To give you a bit of background, the horse in question is a nine year old ISH type. Earlier in the week, he started to behave very oddly: laying down a lot, struggling to get back up, being very uncoordinated once he was on his feet, and generally uncomfortable. He was severely lame, but seemed to almost 'walk it off' on the trip from the bottom of the field to the top to stable him. There was not a mark on him, nor any heat, swelling, or damage to any part of him. The vet was duly called to see him first thing the following morning.

When the vet came, he was also unable to find any obvious signs of injury or damage. T was presenting as lame on all four legs with slight pulses on his hinds (laminitis was ruled out). He was unable to flex as far as he should to either left or right when his head was turned, and showed a severe pain response to a test done to establish back pain. The vet's thoughts were that he's suffered some sort of spinal or muscular trauma to both his back and neck, and that this was more likely than something neurological.

He also has, although this may be entirely unrelated, incredibly swollen grass glands and slight puffiness beneath his eyes (he has always been prone to being sensitive to the flies, and this is often how he reacts to them).

He was prescribed a massive dose of bute: six sachets a day for the first two days, three sachets a day for the next three days, and one and a half sachets from that point on. The idea was to re-examine at the end of the trial, with the assumption being that anything pain-related would have lessened in terms of symptoms, and obviously to call him out again before if I felt at any point that T was deteriorating.

The problem is that he's not worse, but he's not really much better either. He now has one day left at three sachets a day, and is still struggling to stand when I arrive with his morning dose. However, by the time I get there to give him his evening medication, he tends to be up on his feet and looking almost his old self - to the extent of barely even being lame. I'm not sure how much of this is down to his bute having worn off by morning and being still in his system in the evening, and how much is due to him napping in the morning (as he's always done) but being active and 'walking it off' throughout the day.

It's all very confusing to me. Has anyone ever come across anything similar, and what was the outcome? It's driving me insane not knowing what we're dealing with, and I'd really appreciate some idea of not only what I might be looking at, but what it would be useful for me to research in case it's raised by the vet, so that I can ask the questions that will be most helpful moving forwards.

For any who have read this far, thank you - it's very much appreciated.
    I had a young horse (4) who started to lie down and groan quite a lot. Although it looked like a flatulent colic, it turned out to be a trapped nerve in his back. He was treated by Ronnie Longford, then the "go to" back person. I remember him pressing on a certain vertebrae, and the horse going bolt upright and screaming. Never seen anything like it before or since. tThe horse was manipulated, and never had a problem again.
    I agree, my next step would be xrays. they aren't going to break the bank, considering the cost of all the bute!

I met a fine young horse through work, where he had similar symptoms in a way. He would lower his head to eat, and when it was time to come in he could not raise it. It took an hour or two after bringing in for him to set from a net.

Conversely, in the morning he would have his neck in a neutral position in the stable, had difficulty turning left, and once out in the field he had difficulty lowering his head to eat.

Once he had been out a few hours he would look relatively normal in the field.

That was an arthritic neck and neuro. It came on quite suddenly, although to me had had never looked quite connected even when moving freely, but moved and worked broadly nicely for a large framed 4yo.

If the bute is not working I would call the vet back early, or preferably book in to the animal hospital where they have all the facilities.

Veteran

JillA. my horse was treated in horsepital a couple of months ago for liver damage, and he is on bute for arthritis. I did query with the vet but they said it was OK?

Just backed

I think if it were my horse I'd want blood tests done to rule things out. He does sound poorly poor boy.
    Sounds like you are having a rough time with him. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon and he improves.

Youngster

It was an eye opener for me that two horses could have the same underlying issue, yet present different symptoms. I feel like I could write a book on the subject now! Not to mention being £xx,xxx out of pocket. Horses, eh, who'd have 'em?

Again, wish you all the best getting to the bottom of things and dealing with whatever you find. Do keep us posted.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffles View Post
    JillA. my horse was treated in horsepital a couple of months ago for liver damage, and he is on bute for arthritis. I did query with the vet but they said it was OK?
    That's interesting because the vet dealing with my loan horse said he needed the pain relief but it wasn't doing his liver any good. Was yours by mouth or injection?

Veteran

My old mare suffered a back injury we think due a field accident. She could walk in a straight line completely fine but if asked to back up or turn a circle would be visibly in pain. She didn't lie down at all after she was injured until fully recovered. Back X-ray showed an injury to her vertebrae just behind the withers. She was 21 at the time, slowing down and owed me nothing but vet was 100% she could make a full recovery and could be ridden again. Treatment was Bute and individual turnout - it took 6/8 weeks for her to appear pain free.

Veteran

Well it certainly does sound like something neurological....
    But since there is a variety of chemical causes for neurological issues and the horse had no obvious sign of physical trauma, I would've expected the vet to take bloods to check....

Maybe worth pushing for them a bit?

Sport horse

About 9 years ago, I came down to the yard one morning to find my mare, who had been stabled overnight, barely able to stand and camped out in the laminitic stance. She was lame on all 4 legs and in severe pain. Vet ran bloods (normal), bandaged all four legs as a precaution and socked her hard with bute and antibiotics. Gradually, over a few days, she improved and was soon back to her normal self. She's still here

The vet thought it was a severe allergic reaction, but we never found out what it could have been to. To this day it remains a mystery, but I wanted to share that with you to show that weird things happen that can resolve.