Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old nag

Default Re: I need desensitising... I'm too spooky!

Ha so am I. Worse with age too.

Was out on new 4yr old with 8yr old daughter on her very highly strung sports pony nannying us (he is bombproof in traffic!). Two partridges got up under his nose, he, the child and the baby cob barely flinched where as I jumped out my skin. So annoying. I don't know what the answer is. Drugs probably!

Schoolmaster

Current pony as a youngster was very sensitive to noise... pigeons/ cars in puddles/ pheasants etc. Now he is much calmer but I am still spooking!

Get on with it.

No spookiness here but have irrational fear of most of the things you should have an irrational fear about e.g. spiders and ghosts.

Can't help sorry but just wanted to be the odd one out .
    Love a lot, trust a few, but always paddle your own canoe...

TOWING CLINIC
    = http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...d.php?t=490195

Veteran

I'm not really spooky but I'm not traffic proof.

Veteran

Im no help either. Im not too bad but I do spook worse than my pony if a pheasant flaps up under our feet or a pigeon leaps out of a tree at us, I just dont like feathers I guess I usually apologise to pony who looks mildly startled, but by me, not the offending object!!

Sport horse

I'm spooky too. My horse is very calm but I have another horse who is retired and he is very spooky. We set each other off.

I don't what the answer is in your case but I've noticed I'm suited to calmer personalities.

An overly sharp and spooky horse made me a bit like this. But I'd start focusing on birds, waiting for them to fly off suddenly, that sort of thing. I have re-trained myself to notice stuff i.e. The bird on the manège fence.. but then take my focus off it and just let it do whatever it wants without me watching it and waiting.

Both my girls will have a little jump spook at sudden things, but that's all. Sometimes I jump too. I've started just laughing about it. I know they won't do anything silly, just jump. That's fine by me!
    www.teamragtime.co.uk
    A Diva, A Hooligan & a Hapless Human