Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: coincidence or unfortunate - abscess - self trimming

I think flare is probably the wrong word here. It's distortion, the hoof growing the walls it needs to support the horse and the way it moves. As you say, there's no white line separation, which would be the case if it was true flare, as I understand it.
    My horse has the same on his hinds, he is built like a bulldog and very close behind - but has a massive back end so wide at the tops of the hindlegs. Looked at individually his hooves look very lopsided, with "flare" to support where needed. But he's sound as a pound and always has been. I trim him myself and only take off any jagged bits and a bit off the inside if the growth exceeds the wear.

Not slacking-multitasking

LC I agree it is flare v. deviation really but easy to say the wrong one! One is useful, one isn't

Well as far as I know, I'd have to search the story this deviation has been there a good few years and works functionally.

I leave frank's hind deviation but trim the fronts as that is more non functional flare there is more the result of uneven wear and if I don't trim his movement gets worse (and we are conscious of previous issues)

a flare search on rockley brings up a bit more about that hoof, and also the important difference between flare and deviations
    http://rockleyfarm.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=+flare

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post
    I think flare is probably the wrong word here. It's distortion, the hoof growing the walls it needs to support the horse and the way it moves. As you say, there's no white line separation, which would be the case if it was true flare, as I understand it.
    My horse has the same on his hinds, he is built like a bulldog and very close behind - but has a massive back end so wide at the tops of the hindlegs. Looked at individually his hooves look very lopsided, with "flare" to support where needed. But he's sound as a pound and always has been. I trim him myself and only take off any jagged bits and a bit off the inside if the growth exceeds the wear.
    ^
    this. Also I've comer to realise that the less we mess with feet the better. my cob has stopped tripping but is long toed! his fronts have changed shape and although not pretty hes moving much better.
    BHS Welfare 02476 840517, WHW 08000 480 180 , Redwings 01508 481000 ,
    RSPCA 0300 1234 999, Bransby 01427 787369, EMW 07870860825, The Horse Trust 01494 488464

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post
    that's really interesting, I've never heard of that before! so will do some reading about it!

the funny thing is, my vet always said my horses feet are too small for his body, so perhaps with the flare/deviation, he's feet are more likely the right size for his body

the problem with his is getting hoof boots to fit! he's currently in a size 4 cavallo simple boots, which fit the sole of his foot, some time I have to rasps a bit to get his hoof in there, but the there is a massive gap at the top of the boot! I've tried these boots on my friends cob, and they fitted her really well, over the whole hoof!! I guess they're okay, coz they don't twist, rub or fall off.

Veteran

update on the abscess! the farrier came the day after this post and the abscess was really close to the sole, just under the bar!! so he managed to get to it without having to do too much digging/investigation!

Sam's attitude changed immediately! I realised that he'd been a right brat for about 2 days, obviously in pain where it was brewing! and I thought he was just being a grumpy monkey! but he's back to himself now! hopefully a few more days of poulticing and will see how he goes without boots on!