Veteran

Default Kennel Club Lab breeders

I looked up Labrador breeders on the kennel club website and found several local to me. I emailed 5 expressing an interest in getting a black lab bitch puppy sometime over the next few months but didn't get an replies. Any idea if it's not the right way to contact breeders? I'm just surprised no one replied.

Old nag

Default Re: Kennel Club Lab breeders

They probalby get so many emails from timewasters they have given up. I would phone them.
    On FB there are several gundog selling sites (unless you wanted a show type), maybe look on there?
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by LynH View Post
    I looked up Labrador breeders on the kennel club website and found several local to me. I emailed 5 expressing an interest in getting a black lab bitch puppy sometime over the next few months but didn't get an replies. Any idea if it's not the right way to contact breeders? I'm just surprised no one replied.
    phone them-ime very few breeders of anything will answer an email.

Schoolmaster

A few years ago I phoned a load of kennel club listed lab breeders, all answered the phone. However I was very surprised at the hip scores of one or both of the parents. All within the acceptable range but not acceptable to me, I was quite shocked actually.
    I went back to the breeders I have used before that had a waiting list but much lower hip scores. They are in Surrey so pm if you want their name.
    Last edited by wren123; 13-10-17 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wren123 View Post
    A few years ago I phoned a load of kennel club listed lab breeders, all answered the phone. However I was very surprised at the hip scores of one or both of the parents. All within the acceptable range but not acceptable to me, I was quite shocked actually.
    I went back to the breeders I have used before that had a waiting list but much lower hip scores. They are in Surrey so pm if you want their name.
    Being on a KC list is no guarantee that it is a decent breeder, even KC Assured Breeders are no guarantee of decent breeding stock. Yes, they have to health test but there is no maximum set, so a hip score in the 50s can still be bred from by an Assured Breeder !
    The best thing is to just use the KC list as a guide and then do your research from there. As already said, it is better to phone than email, best time is usually early evening I would suggest.

I had exactly the same response from border terrier breeders in NI when I tried to contact them a few years ago

ie none

Fiona

Veteran

Echo above poster if your after working lines then Facebook pedigree gundogs is a good start- that's where I found our second lab (first was local friends dog)
    I just put a wanted post on and then got lots of messages about pups due at the right time for me and went from there!

En route to the kennels.

Quote Originally Posted by MurphysMinder View Post
    Being on a KC list is no guarantee that it is a decent breeder, even KC Assured Breeders are no guarantee of decent breeding stock. Yes, they have to health test but there is no maximum set, so a hip score in the 50s can still be bred from by an Assured Breeder !
    The best thing is to just use the KC list as a guide and then do your research from there. As already said, it is better to phone than email, best time is usually early evening I would suggest.
    ^^^^ This. The KC are viewed by many as a system for registration, and that's about it.

Were I to be looking for a specific breed of dog (though work-bred only) I'd source the owners of the stud dog of my choice and then 'phone them and ask if they'd had any decent bitches which had come to visit their dog which they liked and could recommend. Most of the top FT boys will know of the most suitable bitches, and it's the dam which provides the larger part of what we're looking for, generally.

Alec.
    I've decided that life's far to important for it to be taken seriously.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by wren123 View Post
    Thank you. I'll send you a PM as I'm in Surrey.