Default Weighing haylage nets

Years ago when I fed hay I always remember someone telling me in conversation that if you feed haylage you should feed more to account for the moisture content of it.

So a good few years down the line, I have been feeding haylage for a year or so now but it has always been fairly dry stuff and have just weighed it to the amount I would give. Now we have a round bale to use which is quite 'ripe' (my terminology!) and seems to have a high moisture content. I weighed it normally last night and gave it to my gelding to nibble on while I mucked out and he ate a good chunk of it , a lot for 30mins! So , if the moisture content is quite high, how much should you add ? Double?

I suppose I could just trial and error but thought I'd ask here too. Thanks

Default Re: Weighing haylage nets

I never weigh the hay or haylage - they just get it ad-lib on the floor as it is the best way to feed them
    Youth is Wasted on the Young...

Quote Originally Posted by holeymoley View Post
    Years ago when I fed hay I always remember someone telling me in conversation that if you feed haylage you should feed more to account for the moisture content of it.

So a good few years down the line, I have been feeding haylage for a year or so now but it has always been fairly dry stuff and have just weighed it to the amount I would give. Now we have a round bale to use which is quite 'ripe' (my terminology!) and seems to have a high moisture content. I weighed it normally last night and gave it to my gelding to nibble on while I mucked out and he ate a good chunk of it , a lot for 30mins! So , if the moisture content is quite high, how much should you add ? Double?

I suppose I could just trial and error but thought I'd ask here too. Thanks

I know roughly what 14-16 lbs is in the haynets = I cannot feed adlib as my mare would eat a whole sack of marksway haylage if you let her.

Haylage is normally around 60% dry matter, so if the new round bale is wetter (say 50% and the other bale was 60%) then you would need to feed 1kg more for every 10kg you feed.
    “The true qualities of the bit are to be found in the seat, the hand and the leg of the good rider.” - Dupaty de Clam
    "Acceptance of the bit happens in the haunches, not in the mouth." - Dr. Thomas Ritter

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvCowparsely View Post
    I know roughly what 14-16 lbs is in the haynets = I cannot feed adlib as my mare would eat a whole sack of marksway haylage if you let her.
    This above. Mine would also eat a whole bale if I let him! I try and get two and a half haynets out of a small bag of haylage.

Thanks guys. Yes I have a grubber who would also eat his body weight in it if I let him. Small bags were fine as it was relatively dry so could weigh it and it would be fairly accurate. It's now a large round and struggling to work out how much more he should be getting to compensate for the moisture weight.