Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mane

Just backed

Default Re: Mane

Quote Originally Posted by Casey76 View Post
    If it was that important I would use mane and tail bags rather than using dye :/
    i prefer them to have their mane and tail loose for insect protection in the summer and i'm not sure how you would bag a forelock?

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPony View Post
    No need for dye!!! Supreme Products do this spray cover makeup called 'cover magic' and let me tell you, as the owner of a grey who gets stained, it really is magic! It covers the hair nice and easily, and works well on tails, then can be removed safely plus it's not permanent!! Get the corresponding colour, spray it gently keeping it away from the eyes and add a bit of coat shine=job done. With no harm to the horse...
    but with something spray on a none permanent there is MORE risk of it getting in the eyes?! hair dye combs in and does not run so no risk? not sure how its harming the horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    just because you can, doesn't mean you should! There is absolutely nothing that can be said to justify dyeing a horses coat mane or tail.
    I'm interested to know if you would say the same about all the bleaching of white tails that is done for showing and competing?
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.

Just backed

Quote Originally Posted by ycbm View Post
    I'm interested to know if you would say the same about all the bleaching of white tails that is done for showing and competing?
    Yep, I would. I have an almost totally white PRE. His hocks are dappled. Baby shampoo and warm water are all that's needed to get grass/ poo/ mud/pee and any other stains he manages to cover himself in. (And he does!)Care and elbow grease. If others want to short cut its a sad reflection IMO. But I am an old fashioned horsewoman, ex professional groom, and no longer fifteen years old.

I'm starting to think that showing has some utter loons involved in it.
    For what it's worth, I don't believe anything that I read on here. I have a theory that it's all a stupidly complicated social experiment run from a secret bunker, twelve miles outside of Brighton, by a couple of as yet unidentified sociologists. Along the way, they lost track of who was real, who was them, and who was the Russian spyware bot. None of the above means that I shan't call you out if you're being awful.

Yep, I would. I have an almost totally white PRE. His hocks are dappled. Baby shampoo and warm water are all that's needed to get grass/ poo/ mud/pee and any other stains he manages to cover himself in. (And he does!)Care and elbow grease. If others want to short cut its a sad reflection IMO. But I am an old fashioned horsewoman, ex professional groom, and no longer fifteen years old.
    I'm with you, quite uncomfortable about just how unnatural so many horses lives are these days. Constant baths, never seen without boots or bandages even when having 'down time' in the field, individual turnout, never allowed to be out in the rain, etc etc.

I was with a professional showing yard last week and they openly talked about their makeup artist.
    Last edited by ycbm; 17-11-17 at 06:15 PM.
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.

Old nag

Oh yes there are some complete loony people but I show my Arabs and your really not allowed to enhance or mess around with there natural state, no tacttile hair trimming, no mane tail extensions and no changing the hoof colour so only clear hoof polish and although in other countries they shave the top of there eyes with a razor which I think is awful your not allowed in this country mine have tail bags on all year round which keeps them clean as stops them standing on it, I personally wouldn't dye my horses I use products to enhance there appearance but I think sometimes too much can just look over the top and cover up the natural beauty of a horse.

Just backed

I'm with you, quite uncomfortable about just how unnatural so many horses lives are these days. Constant baths, never seen without boots or bandages even when having 'down time' in the field, individual turnout, never allowed to be out in the rain, etc etc.

I was with a professional showing yard last week and they openly talked about their makeup artist.
    Did you choke back laughter? Isn't that ridiculous? How did you keep quiet? I'd have been snorting with laughter. Yes, definitely some weird types in showing, but I guess they crop up in all disciplines! I can't get over 'makeup artist'.....gives me an image of a horse in lipstick and eye shadow......

Just backed

Did you choke back laughter? Isn't that ridiculous? How did you keep quiet? I'd have been snorting with laughter. Yes, definitely some weird types in showing, but I guess they crop up in all disciplines! I can't get over 'makeup artist'.....gives me an image of a horse in lipstick and eye shadow......

I got the same picture in my head They actually said 'our makeup artist covers those up' referring to white hair patches on the shins of a horse my friend was interested in buying. These people are at the top of the game, international, and take two lorry loads of horses to the national breed show.

I've seen mascara and eyebrow pencil and eyeliner used in Welshie showing.. Plus the usual bleach and vaseline.