Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Why do hunts need terrier men?

Our local hunt who hunt within the law use terrier men to capture or divert loose horses to safety, unite riders with loose horses, mend broken gates, jumps, fences, assist emergency services with access issues or to get to difficult sites, manage traffic - foot followers or otherwise , sometimes manage stray members of the field who have become lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodagh View Post
    Nasty smelly noisy things.
    Just like people then!

Veteran
    The Internet makes one's location irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by TwinkleT View Post
    As the title really, i'm just curious as to why a hunt would have terriers with them post ban? I can't say I fully understand how hunts work and therefore also what's legal post ban so i'm interested to know why they would be there now because I think I would have assumed they could no longer be used on a normal days hunting?
    Rubbish you are fully conversant with hunting and it's protocols. Your question and statement are a complete paradox, which easily point to your fulsome knowledge.

Clearly you are trying to ingratiate yourself into matters, that can be perceived to stir up anti-hunting sentiment.

You might as well say, why do folk ride horses trail or drag hunting. Because they are part of the panoply of hunting as are terriers.

In the now immortalised words of our venerated Minister of Defence, "go away and shut up".

We know all about your sort!
    No matter how much one disagrees with a person, always hear what they have to say.

Veteran

We are seeing far too many 5th Columnist double agents and spy's, coming onto this part of the Horse and Hound Forum, trying to spread poison, in order to denigrate good, decent hunting folk in the minds of the public at large.

Or to generate a discussion which might purport to suggest an illegal act was, or could be committed under The Hunting Act 2004.

These people need to be rooted out, unmasked, exposed and laid bare as to their nefarious and duplicitous motives.
    No matter how much one disagrees with a person, always hear what they have to say.

Old nag

Don't they just, JM

Resident irriot The Fuzzy Furry's Avatar

JM, you having a nice day (for a change! )
    Growing old disgracefully.......VERY disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Judgemental View Post
    We are seeing far too many 5th Columnist double agents and spy's, coming onto this part of the Horse and Hound Forum, trying to spread poison, in order to denigrate good, decent hunting folk in the minds of the public at large.

Or to generate a discussion which might purport to suggest an illegal act was, or could be committed under The Hunting Act 2004.

These people need to be rooted out, unmasked, exposed and laid bare as to their nefarious and duplicitous motives.
    Don't hold back

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    We have an African Eagle - same reason, but he tends on only come out on display occasions anyway. He's a bit heavy!

No there are not terriers inside the metal boxes - although there may be one sitting beside one of those on the quad. They may be a secured weapon - foxes can legally be shot. Mostly terrier men are there to help. Open gates, check the correct gates are closed. Check and if necessary mend fencing - or alert the landowner. Direct nay errant members of the field heading back the wrong way. Replenish the bait fluid used for the trail - the runner can only carry so much. If necessary pick up an injured hound. Video proceedings for proof that hunting is within the law. Video anyone trespassing or causing damage. Anything that needs doing really. They are more mobile than normal foot followers.
    Um! Yes there are terriers inside metal terrier boxes!

Staggered that you would think there aren't. My pet terrier loves going in her box. Safest way to carry her on the quad. Although my box is wooden not metal.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Aleka81 View Post
    Um! Yes there are terriers inside metal terrier boxes!

Staggered that you would think there aren't. My pet terrier loves going in her box. Safest way to carry her on the quad. Although my box is wooden not metal.
    The late and much lamented Willie Poole, always carried a terrier or two on his quad and sometimes in a box.

Ah dear Willie. Brings a tear to the eye when I recall listening to his sage advice and convivial banter.

Of course terriers are like King Charles Spaniels, who warned the king of approaching danger, or embarrassments when he was with his mistresses.

Perish the thought that terriers are kept for a similar latter purpose, on the other I'm not so sure come to think of it.

Oh yes, a good terrier will have a variety of little noises and barks to warn one, if one could be mishandled by a sab or embarrassed.
    Last edited by Judgemental; 16-04-18 at 06:28 PM.