Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New horse turns nasty any advice please?

Amber used to be VERY possessive around food. As soon as I appeared with the bucket, her ears would go back, she'd lunge at me to 'chase' me away from it. (I'm bringing it to YOU, you dozy mare!)

It did not worry me. At first I'd just leave feed in the stable till we got to know each other a bit better. Then I taught her to back away from me without involving food, then with food. She would back away but still pin her ears. A few months later she was totally fine and I can move her feed now even if she is still eating or can just stay near her and she stays relaxed and friendly.

Thank you all so much for your replies. You've put my mind at ease and I will take your advice on board. I guess I am expecting too much too soon. Handling a youngster is very new to me as I've always had older horses, so I have a bit to learn...Unfortunately I don't have the option of turning her out in a herd, but she is with my 16yo TB gelding who is very much the boss, so hopefully he will help teach her some basic manners.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambers Echo View Post
    Amber used to be VERY possessive around food. As soon as I appeared with the bucket, her ears would go back, she'd lunge at me to 'chase' me away from it. (I'm bringing it to YOU, you dozy mare!)

It did not worry me. At first I'd just leave feed in the stable till we got to know each other a bit better. Then I taught her to back away from me without involving food, then with food. She would back away but still pin her ears. A few months later she was totally fine and I can move her feed now even if she is still eating or can just stay near her and she stays relaxed and friendly.
    Whow. Thank you. Reading this has made me feel a lot better. It appears it's a more common issue than I thought...

My pony can be aggressive when it comes to her feed, especially with other horses, but otherwise she is a sweetheart. Just leave her while she's eating and just take it away when she's finished, keep in mind you've only known her for two weeks. She will probably calm down once she realises you are not a threat, taking it away will most likely just make the situation worse.