Schoolmaster

Default Re: A Day In The Life Of A Work Rider - To Be Continued

Love reading your updates, thanks for taking the time to share

Yearling

I really enjoy reading these too. Thanks so much ��

Chief Photograph-Poster JennBags's Avatar

Congrats to Midnight and Derek, and bless Stella for trying so hard and almost making it. Love your updates
    You'll always find me in the kitchen at parties

Fancy a drink and a chat? Join the friendly bunch at The Lock Inn

Another who loves your updates here too! A great insight into racing life. I always read with interest, thank you for sharing

Old nag

It's Bucket Heeds big day out ... I'll update later this evening!

Schoolmaster

I'm sure you'll like this little memory.
    I've been Horsey since a lad and was looking forward to seeing Owned, Trained and Ridden up in the frame at Aintree all through my teenage years ( the dark ages you'd think!) but things took different turns as they do.
    Page to when I had a group of highly successful businessfolk in the car when we happened to go through Lambourne and passed a second string coming back from the downs. I saw several very famous horses lumping along like so many donkeys at the seaside( they were there in my day!) and happened to point them out to the guys in the car. "How do you know?" They asked "They're all brown!!!"
    Later on we lunched in a themed pub where agricultural implements were dotted about and a gadget like a sack barrow with a kind of winch attached caused a query or two- "what's this then Phil? Why does it have a crane on it?" "Because the damn grain sacks wieghed 1.5cwt - wanna try lifting one off the ground? I was doing it at 13."
    Then to cap it all - one asked "I've always wondered - what's the difference between hay and straw?"

Old nag

A random update because I have been super busy!

Midnight won again on Sunday 😊😊😊 and it wasn't easy! He sat in the 2nd rank, came through to join the leader just before the 2nd last with the other good horse in the race and they scraped it out. Midnight got the better jump at the last whilst head to head but the other horse went half a length up on him shortly after. Midnight then stuck his neck out and fought back to win by a head! I am glad he had to fight, it shows he is willing to get down and want to win!

It was a horrible day at the races weather wise - snow! Snow, snow and more snow! One of the races you couldn't see the horses down the back straight it was snowing so much!

Schoolmaster
    covered in mud in a cold wet English field somewhere, trying to catch my ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by EKW View Post
    A random update because I have been super busy!

Midnight won again on Sunday ������ and it wasn't easy! He sat in the 2nd rank, came through to join the leader just before the 2nd last with the other good horse in the race and they scraped it out. Midnight got the better jump at the last whilst head to head but the other horse went half a length up on him shortly after. Midnight then stuck his neck out and fought back to win by a head! I am glad he had to fight, it shows he is willing to get down and want to win!

It was a horrible day at the races weather wise - snow! Snow, snow and more snow! One of the races you couldn't see the horses down the back straight it was snowing so much!
    N'aww well done Midnight! Give the clever beast a pat from me.
    (and keep this thread going, it's brilliant!)
    Congenital Stationary Night Blindness Awareness

Post Script: Please do not call Diva 'grey'. She is a fewspot.