Veteran

Default How to test soil/grass

Does anyone know how I can get a soil and grass sample tested please? We have a parcel of land that has grass on, not previously grazed by any animal, but the horses don't seem that interested in it even though usually by this time of year they are troughing every blade they can find! They are picking at it, but are not settled. I wondered if at some time it had become too acidic/alkaline or has some other imbalance of minerals that would make it less palatable?
    Thanks for any pointers!
    Proud Member of Our horses and ponies have forever homes!" clique!

Old nag

Default Re: How to test soil/grass

Speak to Forageplus - they can arrange testing of grass/forage but for minerals. Not sure if they do soil samples but you should find a local agronomist or contractor who does that. You need to specify what they are to test for though - mineral content, alkalinity, etc. I'd speak to Forageplus in the first instance and see what they suggest - it couldn't have some sort of run off on it could it?

Schoolmaster

I have used this company

http://www.nrm.uk.com/

Veteran

Thanks both, will look into it. The only thing that occurs is that there are a lot of old apple trees there that would not have been harvested and would have fallen and rotted into the ground. I know apple are quite acidic, and wondered if that has tainted the grass? They are now eating it but I'd be more reassured if we had some tested and were given the OK.

Old nag

You can test the soil Ph with a cheap garden tester from most garden suppliers - that might be worth doing as a first step. Then if it needs liming, local contractor will be worth talking to

Veteran

JillA That is a great idea - thanks.

It is probably worth getting the forage tested though as what is in the soil might not be getting into the grass.