Thread: Mallenders

Default Mallenders

My new hairy cob has big scabs on the backs of his knees. Initially, i thought it was mudfever so treated it with mudguard, a product that worked for my previous horse when she had mudfever, he has also had the injection for mites as hes been stamping alot and the vet said it could be exacerbating the mallenders. Does anyone have any suggestions for another topical cream and also any feed or supplement that will help his skin in the long run so it hopefully wont come back!

Default Re: Mallenders

It's a strange one as one thing works for one horse by not others!

What works for my big guy is muddy marvel descab to soften the scabs, the camrosa to heal and sooth the skin. One treatment like that keeps it all at bay for a few months .

He gets both mellanders and sellanders, but never mud fever no matter how much mud. and has no mites. ( I'm also a hoser )
    Last edited by alainax; 15-01-18 at 07:51 PM.

My boy got them on one heel once, i clipped it and every day i would hibiscrub and lather it in dermoline. They went away eventually. However i believe they only came because he was 1) clipped on the heels in the first place 2) in mud. I removed both these factors (now on hard standing in winter with featehrs) and no more horrible skin things.

Quote Originally Posted by equi View Post
    My boy got them on one heel once, i clipped it and every day i would hibiscrub and lather it in dermoline. They went away eventually. However i believe they only came because he was 1) clipped on the heels in the first place 2) in mud. I removed both these factors (now on hard standing in winter with featehrs) and no more horrible skin things.
    Mellenders and sellanders are very specially behind the knee or hock.
    Mallanders occurs behind the knees on the front leg while Sallanders occurs in front of the hock on the hind legs"
    Last edited by alainax; 15-01-18 at 07:59 PM.

Sport horse

Find mallenders & sallender groups on FB there are lots of helpful suggestions and people in the same boat.
    I have found mallenders & sallender cream from Amazon (sold by grizzlybearonline) the best to keep on top of it but you need to make sure there are no extra skin visitors first.
    But every horse is different so sometimes it's trial and error but you have to give a cream/potion a chance to work (unless it's horrendous then stop of course)

Schoolmaster

Quote Originally Posted by splash30 View Post
    Find mallenders & sallender groups on FB there are lots of helpful suggestions and people in the same boat.
    I have found mallenders & sallender cream from Amazon (sold by grizzlybearonline) the best to keep on top of it but you need to make sure there are no extra skin visitors first.
    But every horse is different so sometimes it's trial and error but you have to give a cream/potion a chance to work (unless it's horrendous then stop of course)
    My lad has it worse on his right fore, he is clipped most of the year and I find it the best way of keeping on top of it as I can get right to the skin. I found pig oil everyday best to lift the scabs and then something soothing if the skin is a bit pink. I use a nit comb to get the excess scabs off too but only when they are ready, if i try to do too much too soon he fidgets with that leg!

Veteran

I'm having a nightmare this year. If it wasn't for the mud I'd have de-feathered my draft to get on top of his itchy scabs. 3 dectomax injections, washes, creams, flea sprays etc etc. I pig oil and brush through but have found NAF mud fever cream helpful.

As soon as possible his feathers are coming off so I can get to the bottom of whether he has mites or something else going on.

Btw - straw bedding encourages the little b*****s

Thanks guys, I've ordered some of the farriers cream that people on facebook seem to have success with.

Fingers crossed!