Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Have I over reacted? Interfering livery owners

What’s done is done. Take it as a lesson. Calm your manner, don’t stress as much over some hay, water and a messy stable in the future. Chill out, it’s meant to be enjoyable. Put your Shetland out to help manage its weight in winter. You’ve cooked your chips at this place so need to look for another quickly. Move on, put it behind you, learn from it. We all make mistakes, it’s how we learn and grow and it’s normal .... you haven’t committed a crime or an atrocity, you’ve just been human. We have all over reacted at one time or another, miscommunicated and then regretted it. Sometimes a situation goes too far and all we can do is cut our losses and get the heck out of there as quickly as possible. If you will have your own place soon, focus on that. I wouldn’t bother giving YO a present on departure, they’ve decided you’re more stress than the income you give them is worth. They just want you to leave quietly without any grand finale, presents won’t mean anything apart from a rather embarrassing display of remorse creating more nuisance for them .... wait until you have your own place, believe me, it’s flipping brilliant and you do things your way with no interference from anyone. I could never go back to livery ....
    Last edited by Darlabean; 08-02-18 at 03:49 AM.

Veteran

op i can tell you i have met more than a few yard owners who truly have not the patience to deal with their liveries.

and for what its worth i would have bought my pony in if it was raining, i don`t care what breed it is standing out in winter rain is not good for any livestock, i believe under animal welfare legislation ALL horses and ponies should have access to shelter from bad weather.

I had a livery send me a nasty text saying "I wish people would leave my ******ing horse alone" after I had text her to say her horse had jumped out of the paddock was running around like a loon and I'd managed to catch him with a tub of nuts that I had shaken and I had put him back in his field unharmed and he had settled!! She then started bombarding me with unpleasant messages like "did you bother to check he wasn't injured?" and "why didn't you ring me and I would have sorted it?". Glory be! So I told her she was an ungrateful w**ch and I wouldn't bother in future left it at that.

Quite by coincidence some half an hour or so later my partner and I had gone for a walk after I'd caught her horse. The public footpath rose up a hill.We were stood at the top of the hill which looked down on our yard and paddocks and my partner spotted her in my horses paddock, unfortunately we could only see part of her paddock but he saw her stride towards my horse, she flew back out of view and then he saw her storm out. We never knew what she had done to my horse but it was still very disconcerting and we couldn't work out why she would have been in her paddock. She'd had a few drinks I think as she was a bit of a wino and used to spend all her time at the pub.

So now I tend not to interfere in other liveries business unless its something like a horse stuck in a net or cast in a stable.

She did later apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by hopscotch bandit View Post
    I had a livery send me a nasty text saying "I wish people would leave my ******ing horse alone" after I had text her to say her horse had jumped out of the paddock was running around like a loon and I'd managed to catch him with a tub of nuts that I had shaken and I had put him back in his field unharmed and he had settled!! She then started bombarding me with unpleasant messages like "did you bother to check he wasn't injured?" and "why didn't you ring me and I would have sorted it?". Glory be! So I told her she was an ungrateful w**ch and I wouldn't bother in future left it at that.

Quite by coincidence some half an hour or so later my partner and I had gone for a walk after I'd caught her horse. The public footpath rose up a hill.We were stood at the top of the hill which looked down on our yard and paddocks and my partner spotted her in my horses paddock, unfortunately we could only see part of her paddock but he saw her stride towards my horse, she flew back out of view and then he saw her storm out. We never knew what she had done to my horse but it was still very disconcerting and we couldn't work out why she would have been in her paddock. She'd had a few drinks I think as she was a bit of a wino and used to spend all her time at the pub.

So now I tend not to interfere in other liveries business unless its something like a horse stuck in a net or cast in a stable.

She did later apologise.
    See this person I would have given notice to in a heartbeat!!

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenBay View Post
    See this person I would have given notice to in a heartbeat!!
    Yes me too! Would love to know what she did to my horse.

When you get your own land put the buckets in tyres or something secure or buy a water trough so it does not fall over-also a shelter is a must-and ask your local neighbours to keep an eye out when you are not there-you will be grateful if anything happens.

I would have been cross as well. I had the opposite situation once when I was on part livery and if I put hay in the stable during the day when she was in the owner used to take it out- she wasn't a fatty! I'm sure you'll be happier on a new yard. Once you've had a situation like this it's better to move on as you can never really trust the yard owner/manager again.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tristar View Post
    op i can tell you i have met more than a few yard owners who truly have not the patience to deal with their liveries.

and for what its worth i would have bought my pony in if it was raining, i don`t care what breed it is standing out in winter rain is not good for any livestock, i believe under animal welfare legislation ALL horses and ponies should have access to shelter from bad weather.
    Our native ponies are adapted to be out in bad weather. Their coats are especially adapted so they have an undercoat and a top coat of guard hairs that deflect the water away from the skin. In the Fell, Highland and Shetlands, their manes and tails are adapted to divert water away from the skin.
    There are far more welfare issues with animals being kept over rugged, and in boxes with little ventilation, which cause breathing problems and stereotypical behaviours. A stable can be actually colder than being outside if it is drafty and the animal has no ability to move to keep warm, or eat a constant supply of roughage to supply heating by its digestion/fermentation in the gut.
    https://www.bluecross.org.uk/fat-horse-slim
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsH3OKPRgvg I think a rainy windy day on the mainland would be a breeze to these ponies.

Veteran

i am fully aware of native hardiness thank you, nowhere have i said the pony could not live outside.

i have owned any trained almost every native british breed and some foreign breeds and never had them suffer from being in a stable for a few hours.

i would still offer any animal shelter in winter rain.

op opted to bring in pony, it is her pony, her stable.

i have many times seen horses out in winter rain, soaked to the bone, and shaking like a leaf, perhaps there is research into the benefits of that.