Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 256789 LastLast
    Old nag

Default Re: Please help us - first time owners rehomed a rottie

I've taken on a couple of older dogs and none of them were 'traumatised'. Some adjusted better than others and one in particular would have gone with anyone, the big tart. We were her third home and she was just happy out, didn't matter who she was with, or where she was. And then of course my mother has lamented the fact that our other dogs were not as perfect as she was, ever since...

Not slacking-multitasking

I don't read that the OP is complaining that he isn't behaving perfectly, she has said quite the opposite really?

He may be sensitive based on breed generalisations but individuals are differnet so we we don't truely know that, so no I wouldn't consider that a fact. And as CC says not all dogs are traumatised by a rehome, I may not have done it myself but know a fair few who have appeared to be very happy straight off. So again, no, not really fact.

Yeah I’ve taken on rather more than a couple CC, and all of them were.

I hope I don’t need to explain to you that just because this doesn’t manifest itself as (for example) destructive behaviour, barking etc doesn’t mean it isn’t there? Older dogs that are re-homed can just shut down in the same way people do - it’s only months later when they relax and begin to feel comfortable that you realise how much they’ve changed

My first rescue greyhound was a good example of this - she was laid back, quiet, obedient and would have gone with anyone from the start, she didn’t put a paw wrong. It was only later on when she regained her happy personality that we realised how much she had changed

Quote Originally Posted by ester View Post
    I don't read that the OP is complaining that he isn't behaving perfectly, she has said quite the opposite really?

He may be sensitive based on breed generalisations but individuals are differnet so we we don't truely know that, so no I wouldn't consider that a fact. And as CC says not all dogs are traumatised by a rehome, I may not have done it myself but know a fair few who have appeared to be very happy straight off. So again, no, not really fact.
    And you have hit the nail on the head there “appeared to be”.....

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Lévrier View Post
    To me, it is pretty obvious that any dog would be traumatised by being re-homed surely?

For myself I know from repeated experience that a rescue dog takes 6-12 months to really settle into a new home, which is why I find it incomprehensible when people (not just the OP) complain after a couple of days that the dog is not behaving perfectly
    That is not my experience. I have found dogs to be reassuringly adaptable and seem to often seamlessly go from one home to another without any trauma. Of course much will depend upon the early experiences of the dog and also the home he finds himself in.

Old nag

Early experiences, breed, genetics, etc. I think this thread is definite proof that we all have different experiences!

Not slacking-multitasking

Quote Originally Posted by Lévrier View Post
    And you have hit the nail on the head there “appeared to be”.....
    Well quite, I used that knowingly as I couldn't ask them outright. But they showed no signs, subtle or otherwise of having an issue and didn't change after an extended period of time. So as far as anyone could tell they were unaffected.

The horse took a year to settle in properly, I wouldn't describe him as traumatised though or the settling in period a particularly traumatising experience.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by CorvusCorax View Post
    I've taken on a couple of older dogs and none of them were 'traumatised'. Some adjusted better than others and one in particular would have gone with anyone, the big tart. We were her third home and she was just happy out, didn't matter who she was with, or where she was. And then of course my mother has lamented the fact that our other dogs were not as perfect as she was, ever since...
    We rehomed a Labrador dog, about 12 months old, who had grown too big for showing. We were his 4th home, his 3rd had been in a 1st floor flat where he howled all day while the owners were out at work (surprise, surprise). After careful introduction, we put him in the kennel with our 2 Lab bitches overnight. He broke out and came to sit on the doorstep, while the other two went to explore the village! He wasn't traumatised at all, just wanted to be in the house. He was a lovely dog and lived with us until he was 14.

I must admit I wouldn't have recommended a Rottie as a 1st dog, wonderful as they are. One of ours is very vocal, she 'talks' a lot. The other purses her lips and makes a sound like wolf, if she thinks something is going on outside that shouldn't be.
    I had a Lab who never thought that it was safe for me to be cooking, she always wanted to be able to keep an eye on me, if there was anything hot around.
    OP, your dog sounds to be behaving perfectly normally while he gets to know you and your routine. I hope you feel more settled soon.
    "Don't LET him do that"

Schoolmaster

I don't think there's anything unusual about your reaction, OP; I felt a bit the same when we acquired our dogs. It is a big change in lifestyle - you do need to consider the dog when making plans all the time, how long will it be left for, etc, and it's always there in your house. It is still early days. Concentrate on all the good things you can do with the dog, walks, games etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ester View Post
    Well quite, I used that knowingly as I couldn't ask them outright. But they showed no signs, subtle or otherwise of having an issue and didn't change after an extended period of time. So as far as anyone could tell they were unaffected.

The horse took a year to settle in properly, I wouldn't describe him as traumatised though or the settling in period a particularly traumatising experience.
    So sorry, I didn't realise I had to give a scientifically proved definition of every opinion I put forward....
    Three greyhounds are not enough..... I miss you so much Islay greyhound, always the most beautiful girl in the world