Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Not slacking-multitasking

Default Re: Strange behaviour - sleep related?

did he have the bone scan?

Yep - bone scan showed up a couple of hot spots - suspensory area, left shoulder and top of tibia. Vet suspects shoulder area is a bone cyst. Suspensories blocked twice with no effect. Left fore blocked top to bottom with no effect. Vet advised parking the left fore for the time being & blocked right hock - then lameness on right fore popped up.

No correlation between bone scan anything on the x-rays it seems, which is strange to say the least. Numerous x-rays done - areas that scan showed up of course, plus various others including neck - and we're still none the wiser.

Have asked for copies of notes, scans etc for a second opinion in case a fresh pair of veterinary eyes can spot anything - but otherwise I'm at a loss.

Upset that I unwittingly inflicted so much pain on my gorgeous boy that he had to react like that - with hindsight he was a little reluctant to walk up to the mounting block and I wish I'd interpreted that as him trying to tell me something, rather than pressing on and getting on. I don't think its the saddle, as the reaction was so extreme - but I will get it checked anyway.

How frustrating, it sounds so much like he is sore (including the not lying down). Don't be upset, you have to try these things to ascertain how they are and I hope you are not too battered.

I'm presuming your insured hence the tildren suggestion pre turning away as otherwise you will run out of time to do so. Do you think he is comfy enough in the field? I think if I were you I would certainly be investigating decent turning away options (ie bunch of horses/varied terrain if possible etc).

He rolls in the field, and started lying down in his stable while on the bute a few months back - that and the weekend's events tell me he is hurting, but we haven't found where yet.

He is insured, although we're not a million miles from our claim limit now so trying to be a little bit sensible in our approach - he'll get the treatment he needs, just don't want to go nuts with more and more diagnostics & so thinking a second opinion is worth a shot.

He seems happy enough in himself - he still eats, he wanders over in the field to say hello, the planting has stopped (other than at things that are scary, but its clear with him what is 'i'm scared' planting and what isn't), he interacts with the other horses in his field etc. What I'm trying to say is, I don't think we've reached the point where I think he has little or no quality of life because of whatever is troubling him.

Turning away options I will need to look into. He's just switched on to night turnout for the summer, so he's getting a lot more hours in than out at the moment but my current yard doesn't do 24/7 turn out so will need to look at moving him I think - another stress in itself!

The premise for my question was more around whether it would fair to turn him away as is unmedicated or whether he would hurt too much rather than a quality of life thing . Certainly better to get a second opinion now rather than later at least so I think that is sensible.

If he isn't going to be comfortable turned away, whether that's with or without medication, I won't put him through that. He doesn't appear to be uncomfortable or in pain pottering around the field at this time, but I am accepting of the fact he may never be ridden again and so his being happy and comfortable are all that matters.