Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Chilli's Leg Thread-Do not open if you don't like blood!

Looks well! That will heal really nicely.

At this point is there a reason for bandaging?
    Self-musing really, as putting myself into your situation & deciding what I would do, as when Billy had his big accident we were unable to bandage the site (mid anterior thigh) so it remained open to the world lol. It was stitched however so not sure if that would make a difference, and it was just covered in manuka honey twice a day. Healed well with no proud flesh & barely a scar which was quite the miracle tbh. Never got infected!

Your wound doesn’t look infected but appreciate that it isn’t stitched, so may affect that. Do you think you could just cover in honey every day instead?
    Although bandage would keep swelling down (is she on compete box rest?) whereas I was able to let Billy walk about as much as he wanted in a yard which did the same job for me. He did have just the minimal shavings for peeing as trying to discourage lying down as there would have been a good chance of stitches not holding.

Just curious, trying to debate with myself pros/cons with bandage/not bandage, and asking myself if in a similar sixty how long I would bandage for.
    Suppose the lying down would be one of main deciding factors for bandaging. I do enjoy a good musing on wound care
    Smile and enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow brings!

ikmv, she manages to look beautiful whatever!
    And hahaha everyone, that wheelbarrow is making me laugh now!

Chilli is now sporting lime green though, as she has had a stressy day (just come into season for the first time this year) and has spent quite a lot of time stressing in her box and managed to get her dressing a bit wet and it slipped down very slightly...
    So this was it tonight. Not once in this whole process have I said "ew", but this has made me the closest to doing so-think it's the yellow!!

Speaking of being in season, yesterday she kept herself amused by staring intently and... ahem... showing her affection for some lovely showing horses coming through the yard to use our indoor Told her she's already had one foal and doesn't need another

Quote Originally Posted by only_me View Post
    Looks well! That will heal really nicely.

At this point is there a reason for bandaging?
    Self-musing really, as putting myself into your situation & deciding what I would do, as when Billy had his big accident we were unable to bandage the site (mid anterior thigh) so it remained open to the world lol. It was stitched however so not sure if that would make a difference, and it was just covered in manuka honey twice a day. Healed well with no proud flesh & barely a scar which was quite the miracle tbh. Never got infected!

Your wound doesn’t look infected but appreciate that it isn’t stitched, so may affect that. Do you think you could just cover in honey every day instead?
    Although bandage would keep swelling down (is she on compete box rest?) whereas I was able to let Billy walk about as much as he wanted in a yard which did the same job for me. He did have just the minimal shavings for peeing as trying to discourage lying down as there would have been a good chance of stitches not holding.

Just curious, trying to debate with myself pros/cons with bandage/not bandage, and asking myself if in a similar sixty how long I would bandage for.
    Suppose the lying down would be one of main deciding factors for bandaging. I do enjoy a good musing on wound care
    She is on near complete box rest. She comes out and does a few laps of the yard when she's mucked out and stands tied up to be groomed and that's it really-we don't have anywhere she can be a free range chicken even if she could be! She has a nice comfy bed as I know she likes a good sprawled out sleep in the night (I can see her body shaped imprint in the shavings in the morning like a crime scene ).

Speaking to the vets, we're reckoning that it shouldn't be toooooo long before we can let it free to breathe the air, but for the mo want to keep it dressed as she will turn her leg into a shavings chicken nugget as the honey is so sticky. We're just playing it by ear really!

Quote Originally Posted by rosiesowner View Post
    She is on near complete box rest. She comes out and does a few laps of the yard when she's mucked out and stands tied up to be groomed and that's it really-we don't have anywhere she can be a free range chicken even if she could be! She has a nice comfy bed as I know she likes a good sprawled out sleep in the night (I can see her body shaped imprint in the shavings in the morning like a crime scene ).

Speaking to the vets, we're reckoning that it shouldn't be toooooo long before we can let it free to breathe the air, but for the mo want to keep it dressed as she will turn her leg into a shavings chicken nugget as the honey is so sticky. We're just playing it by ear really!
    See for some reason shavings never stuck to the manuka honey, nor did it attract flies (injury was prime fly time) so I dont know if it’s something to do with the processing of the honey etc. It was weird!

Yeah can see why you’d bandage with a full bed, what stage can you use a stable bandage, as i can remember just how expensive vet wrap is

Chilli has been putting her treat ball where she shouldn't as protest
    A rather tame water bucket placement

A video from after I noticed it was missing this morning before work!
    https://www.facebook.com/10000448969...749189/?type=3

Youngster

My horse did a similar thing , but his injury was to his pastern . I had the same questioins re bandages as healing progressed . My fab vet explained that it isnt just about keeping it clean. There is much more movement in the tissue of a leg in motion than you would think and that faster healing is acheived by reducing the motion of the skin / tissue. Makes sense when you think about it .
    Last edited by anglo; 23-02-18 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anglo View Post
    My horse did a similar thing , but his injury was to his pastern . I had the same questioins re bandages as healing progressed . My fab vet explained that it isnt just about keeping it clean. There is much more movement in the tissue of a leg in motion than you would think and that faster healing is acheived by reducing the motion of the skin / tissue. Makes sense when you think about it .
    But surely increased movement would increase blood flow & increase healing rate? Obviously in a controlled manner not just chucked out in a field lol.
    Unless it was a very tight bandage would tissue movement not be very similar to non-bandaged?
    I bandage usually to either keep wound clean/moist/treat infections or to help prevent swelling. Although suppose if you can’t stitch and are trying to get wound edges to meet a bandage would help?

Today before cleaning...

And after

Snoozing last night...

Quote Originally Posted by rosiesowner View Post
    Today before cleaning...

And after

Snoozing last night...
    Aww cutie pie...

Fiona