Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Old nag

Default Re: Follow on thread...would you PTS a horse with mild health is

Quote Originally Posted by monkeymad View Post
    Poor you Dominobrown. I would rather PTS any of my animals than risk them ending up in a situation where I couldnt ensure their future. My worst nightmare is any of my animals being afraid and suffering - if I had to end their life rather than risk that I would. I understand my views are extreme and are not shared by the majority but if an animals end can be delivered humanely without fear and suffering, I would opt for that rather than an uncertain future.
    This.

IMO it is never wrong to pts, the horse doesn't know. Yes, it's fine if you can keep them on your own land but everyone isn't in that situation and in some places grass livery is near impossible to find.
    "Don't LET him do that"

Get on with it.

I think each circumstance should be looked at on it's own merits. I certainly think I've become a lot less emotional when it comes to making decisions whether it's a small hairy animal or a big one.

Top of the list of deciders has to be quality of life - no matter what ailment the horse has, it has to be able to have QOL either at the end of rehab (a short one preferably) or to fully recover.

Apart from the perfect horses (until something happens God forbid), it does boil down to the 'treatables' and the 'manageables'... or indeed a combination of the two coupled with availability of facilities to be able to give QOL.
    Last edited by tallyho!; 13-02-18 at 05:14 PM.
    Love a lot, trust a few, but always paddle your own canoe...

TOWING CLINIC
    = http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...d.php?t=490195

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DabDab View Post
    It would be a serious turn up of events if I was ever in the situation where I HAD to sell a horse. I try to make sure as far as possible that they are relatively sellable just in case, but in all honesty I would live in a cardboard box myself to keep an unsaleable horse if it came to it.

As an absolute last resort, yes I would PTS rather than pass on if they had serious medical issues.
    This. If there was some reason I needed to move them on, I'd look for a nice loan home (this is assuming they'd been up for sale already and nobody was biting due to their health issue), and if that couldn't be found, I'd keep the horse. I couldn't look myself in the mirror every day if I'd put to sleep a horse with minor problems for nothing more than my own convenience.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SEL View Post
    Bit close to home right now. Shiloh isn't sellable and wouldn't last the summer on grass turnout. Unless anything outside our control happens (last year we both got sick) then this is the summer when I really need to see whether she can hold up to work.

I can feel myself getting teary just thinking about it, she's not even 8 yet FFS.
    Oh SEL, I feel your pain - I've retired mine to hacking only a number of times and then managed to find another way to chip away at his condition/training/management and bring him back to competing again (I think we win prizes for the slowest crawl up to elementary dressage ever). It's a bleak time of year and it's utterly depressing riding a horse that doesn't want to put one foot in front of the other. But longer days for hacking are just around the corner. Thinking of you x

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlsasinger View Post
    This.

IMO it is never wrong to pts, the horse doesn't know. Yes, it's fine if you can keep them on your own land but everyone isn't in that situation and in some places grass livery is near impossible to find.
    I also agree with this. You have a duty of care to any animal you own. It is more important to make the correct decision at the end than any other time.
    I would PTS rather than let them face an uncertain future. I think to many people take on horses now adays without thinking about the long term. The amount of ponies/horses that change hands every few months upsets me. Also the ponies/horses in their 20's been sold on Facebook. If you have an older horse you should be prepared to give them a decent retirement or dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by SEL View Post
    Bit close to home right now. Shiloh isn't sellable and wouldn't last the summer on grass turnout. Unless anything outside our control happens (last year we both got sick) then this is the summer when I really need to see whether she can hold up to work.

I can feel myself getting teary just thinking about it, she's not even 8 yet FFS.
    I am in that place as well Fatty is out of work the only way we have ever been able to control his wieght by having him hunting he is such a good doer he said gaining wieght turned out in mud without add lib forage .
    How I am going to manage summer with good QOL I have no idea.
    He’s older than yours at 17 but I just love him he such a clever naughty horse .

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by dorsetladette View Post
    I also agree with this. You have a duty of care to any animal you own. It is more important to make the correct decision at the end than any other time.
    I would PTS rather than let them face an uncertain future. I think to many people take on horses now adays without thinking about the long term. The amount of ponies/horses that change hands every few months upsets me. Also the ponies/horses in their 20's been sold on Facebook. If you have an older horse you should be prepared to give them a decent retirement or dignity.
    Very definitely this. It is a sore point as we have just had to pts 2 in 2 months, both because of end-stage Cushings. I have never sold a horse, we always keep them for life, which in some cases hasn't been very long at all but I would not buy someone else's broken down horse. I think responsible owners don't pass on horses with serious health problems - and yes there is a debate to be had about what constitutes a serious problem.
    "Don't LET him do that"

Sport horse

I have several with issues (minor and major) even if I could find a buyer who wanted to take them on with their issues I wouldn't sell them as they are the kind of issues that need a lot of input and care to keep them comfortable and sound. As I wouldn't be able to gaurentee that if they went out of my care they won't. I'm luck enough to have my own yard so when I can no longer manage the issues enough for them to be in work they will retire. If my circumstances changed for any reason and I couldn't keep them (extreme circumstances only) they would be PTS so I could secure their future.
    I do however think there are buyers for horses with minor conditions and as long as it's disclosed and they are advertised correctly people will often find suitable homes

I have in the past bought horses with various conditions for very little money on the proviso that if they don't come right they will be put down. Some have been sold on, some are still here, none (to date) have had to be PTS. I am currently pondering taking on a misfortunate horse that needs help, with the express intent of having him PTS as the present owner will not and is trying to get as much money out of him as possible whilst he is suffering (he is a stallion).

Schoolmaster

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    This. If there was some reason I needed to move them on, I'd look for a nice loan home (this is assuming they'd been up for sale already and nobody was biting due to their health issue), and if that couldn't be found, I'd keep the horse. I couldn't look myself in the mirror every day if I'd put to sleep a horse with minor problems for nothing more than my own convenience.
    Personally I am solvent, with reasonable paid job, and no caring commitments or children. But not EVERYONE is. Horses, particularly horses with health issues can be very expensive and time consuming to keep. If you don't own or rent land, or health issues are complex, horses can cost a lot of money and time.

To say someone was potentially PTS a horse with some issues, for their convenience is unfair. We all like to plan for the unexpected, but sometimes really unexpected things happen e.g. death of partner / terminally ill children / financial problems etc.

It has to be a balanced decision depending on the resources of the owner, the availability of other decent home options, and what is fair for the horse.