Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Sport horse

Default Re: Follow on thread...would you PTS a horse with mild health is

I have had to make the call twice in 2 years and it is devastating, my first mare was PTS with PSD, would have made a lovely field ornament, she was kind and loveable, but I keep my horses in livery, have a family, & couldn't afford the time or the money for 2. I then decided to splash out buy a ready made, get straight on and catch up with lost time RC horse, she did have a very small sarcoid but took the slight risk, had a wonderful 5 months, then niggling lameness kept coming up, rest, ride, lame, then a colic episode then ulcers were diagnosed, then a 4.5hrs trip to Rossdales to MRI & XRay front feet, Sidebone, caused by conformation, medial lateral imbalance, tried everything but Vets were always guarded about her return to work, shoeing was costing 225 every 5 weeks, tried barefoot which didn't work, took the decision before Christmas to PTS, with Vet and Farriers advise that she would never stand up to work, would stay field sound but RClub activities, hacking NO...she was also only 8, had had multiple homes when I searched her breeding on Facebook in Ireland. I am now just loaning an older TB gelding, who needs some TLC & I have plenty to give, he's turning out to be a little dude, its so nice to walk down the road and not be obsessing about lameness, I don't think I can buy again after the last 4yrs, horses are too heart breaking.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Red-1 View Post
    Currently it is just a thought, I am rather hoping one finds me by way of word of mouth. This is what they are priced at on adverts. Until it is concrete I won't call and start to barter. It is exhausting!

The thread is about weather such animals are saleable, my point being that many would be at a realistic price. Not sure advertising them at 1000 plus is a good sales technique. I appreciate that there will be a lot of duff calls, but if you wish to re-home a compromised horse surely it is your job to do, to visit, get references, make sure everything is great for the horse.

As a ploy, to over price - I believe many people who are the people you are trying to avoid know to call and say they are great, but could only afford 100, 50, 1 or whatever. Hence, so many people genuinely advertising lower value animals then being surprised by the people calling and wanting the horse for free. So, over pricing does not really ensure anything as those wishing to make a quick buck will still call and lie (and some genuine homes will be put off).

In my world it is easier if everyone just is straight in saying what they are looking for and what they expect from a buyer. Saves time and energy all round.

If I become desperate I may get one from a charity, but as I said, I kind of hope one arrives by word of mouth. I did have one from a charity, it worked out well. They delivered an 18 months old wild one for free, I backed and brought on, 4 years later they got back a backed and trained one that was easy to re-home. I guess they would also have an older one wanting a steady away life. The only drawback for me was having one that did not feel truly 'mine'.
    I called in here a while ago there were some beauties, one was just leaving for a new hacking home in the New Forest
    https://www.polopastures.com/about

Quote Originally Posted by stormox View Post
    None of the problems you mention is a reason for PTS. I would advertise at a sensible price and tell buyers about any problems.
    Many people, me included, wouldnt mind a sarcoid, sweet itch can be managed and if the 3rd one has been operated on and is now fine wheres the problem?
    Kissing spines that have been operated on frequently break down within a few years. It's not a risk I would take on, and its not a horse I would sell in case it ended up with an unscrupulous dealer and was too stoic to show pain and dump its rider.
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by SEL View Post
    Have you looked at ex-polo ponies? I've known and ridden a lot that are in their teens, had a hard life so now only up to hacking but not really novice rides. Most of them have been at nil or negligible 'sale' price to make sure they go to a good home.

My friend's mare is well into her 20s now and prances around like something 1/2 her age. Grade A polo when she was younger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecile View Post
    I called in here a while ago there were some beauties, one was just leaving for a new hacking home in the New Forest
    https://www.polopastures.com/about
    Thank you both. I am receptive for a new one, but not quite ready to go get yet (unless one finds me first). I will bear this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by samleigh View Post
    I have had to make the call twice in 2 years and it is devastating, my first mare was PTS with PSD, would have made a lovely field ornament, she was kind and loveable, but I keep my horses in livery, have a family, & couldn't afford the time or the money for 2. I then decided to splash out buy a ready made, get straight on and catch up with lost time RC horse, she did have a very small sarcoid but took the slight risk, had a wonderful 5 months, then niggling lameness kept coming up, rest, ride, lame, then a colic episode then ulcers were diagnosed, then a 4.5hrs trip to Rossdales to MRI & XRay front feet, Sidebone, caused by conformation, medial lateral imbalance, tried everything but Vets were always guarded about her return to work, shoeing was costing 225 every 5 weeks, tried barefoot which didn't work, took the decision before Christmas to PTS, with Vet and Farriers advise that she would never stand up to work, would stay field sound but RClub activities, hacking NO...she was also only 8, had had multiple homes when I searched her breeding on Facebook in Ireland. I am now just loaning an older TB gelding, who needs some TLC & I have plenty to give, he's turning out to be a little dude, its so nice to walk down the road and not be obsessing about lameness, I don't think I can buy again after the last 4yrs, horses are too heart breaking.
    This sounds unbelievably heart breaking, I'm so sorry you've had to go through that. Big hugs.