Default New 1st Horse - Advice on feeding please :)

Hello,
    All being well, my very first horse will be arriving in the not too distant future!
    He is currently fed Alfa A Molasses Free and a competition mix to boost his energy for what the owner does. He is a good doer, not fizzy or excitable.
    As I plan to do mainly hacking and lessons to begin with, competition mix seems a bit extreme, and I certainly don't want the extra energy.
    He will be turned out during day and in at night, ridden on average 4 times a week.
    Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement for the competition mix, or could I leave it out altogether and just feed the Alfa A molasses free with a vits and mins supplement?
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: New 1st Horse - Advice on feeding please :)

I'd just leave it out personally. It doesn't sound like you'll be doing enough work for a competition mix.

I've always been a bit confused about feeds. My boys a good doer and does around the same amount of work, he just gets his chaff (in your case this is the Alfa A) and he gets a Pro hoof vits and mins supplement. This is a more expensive one but there are slightly cheaper supplements/balancers you could try. I give mine a supplement as our grazing is not the best so it ensures he gets all his nutrients. He doesn't really need anything else, but the chaff is to mix it with.

Be aware that when you bring a horse onto a yard it will most likely be unsettled, I'd be tempted to just feed the chaff at first until they're settled. Sometimes some food (or switching foods) can cause a horse to be a bit spirited, which you don't need on top of being unsettled. Then you could introduce something slowly.

I would cut it out completely, give adlib hay and a bit of chop and see how he settles, it is a tricky time to get a new horse many are fed up with being in too much, are feeling fresh and if overfed can mean you are in for a bit of a tough time when getting to know him, far better to feed too little than too much, hope vetting goes well and he is all you wish for.

Thanks for your replies and good wishes. I'm thinking along the same lines and just cutting the comp mix out for the time being, until the dust has settled!

Sorry, me again! (covering face with shame)
    Vetting is Friday!!!
    I was talking to a friend of mine who is very anti feeding alfalfa products as they are known to make horses fizzy. Obviously with new horse I don't want to change everything about their feeding regime - apart from cutting out the Comp Mix, but it made me question if feeding the Dengie Alfa A Molasses Free is right, or do I switch to a plain pure grass chaff such as Readigrass?

My plan eventually is to add a vit and min supplement.

So what's everyone else think about Alfalfa?

If I was to switch from the Dengie to something like D & H Just Grass or Readigrass, how long would it be best to leave well alone before introducing something new?

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMurs View Post
    Sorry, me again! (covering face with shame)
    Vetting is Friday!!!
    I was talking to a friend of mine who is very anti feeding alfalfa products as they are known to make horses fizzy. Obviously with new horse I don't want to change everything about their feeding regime - apart from cutting out the Comp Mix, but it made me question if feeding the Dengie Alfa A Molasses Free is right, or do I switch to a plain pure grass chaff such as Readigrass?

My plan eventually is to add a vit and min supplement.

So what's everyone else think about Alfalfa?

If I was to switch from the Dengie to something like D & H Just Grass or Readigrass, how long would it be best to leave well alone before introducing something new?
    I feed the Dengie Molasses-free feeds, mostly Alfa-A, but if I think one is getting a bit fizzy on pure alfalfa, I'll drop him/her down to HiFi Molasses-Free. I use Equimins Advance Complete to make sure they're getting their vits and mins

Readigrass sends several of mine off their rockers - it's spring grass in a bag!
    Vets with Horsepower: Trans-European 'Play It Again, Sam' Tour 2012
    Raising money for SPANA; supporting the welfare of working animals in developing countries. http://www.justgiving.com/horsepower2012

It certainly looks like spring grass in a bag!!! I love the idea of the plain grass chops with nothing added, and I'm not looking to feed a lot, just enough to dampen and add vit and min supplement/ herbs, but I'm not 100% sure that's the right way to go for a good doer.

What are your thoughts on Oat straw chaff, such as Lite and Healthy Honey Chop, or Just Grass? Horse is a good doer, so not in need of the calories.

Schoolmaster

We feed Hi Fi molasses free. Never made any of ours fizzy. Just a handful is enough. I don’t feed any supplements. Just hay.

Schoolmaster

I feed Oat Straw, I don't have a fussy eater so it goes down fine and I know there's no sugar/additives/rubbish to worry about.