Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 813161718

Thread: Cheltenham

Default Re: Cheltenham

Quote Originally Posted by Clodagh View Post
    Trouble is - would it be better if all greyhounds ended up like the Crufts dog? As surely if they didn't race there would be no need to breed fit, athletic types. I work with a lady that trains and races greyhounds, and by her own standards she loves them and looks after them well. Yes some get injured, but I had 2 hunters that broke down and had them both PTS. (Ultimately, they had due treatment first)
    If we stopped all horses being ridden and dogs being used for work then that would be the kindest thing, but would it do them any favours, long term?
    I am told that in ireland they breed something like 10,000 greyhounds a year for racing. If excessive breeding like that comes to an end I would not be sorry. There is absolutely no need for greyhounds to become like those horrendous show specimens - there are plenty of dogs which were working dogs but are no longer so that haven't become such distorted versions of their former selves.
    Three greyhounds are not enough..... I miss you so much Islay greyhound, always the most beautiful girl in the world

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Lévrier View Post
    I am told that in ireland they breed something like 10,000 greyhounds a year for racing. If excessive breeding like that comes to an end I would not be sorry. There is absolutely no need for greyhounds to become like those horrendous show specimens - there are plenty of dogs which were working dogs but are no longer so that haven't become such distorted versions of their former selves.
    I am trying to think of some. (I am sure there are but off the top of my head I can't).
    I agree that 10000 is a massive number. I wonderwhat percentage race? Ditto tbs I suppose.
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

Sport horse

According to this (page 11) 4366 TB foals were born in the UK in 2012. It's quite an interesting read generally, although it's purely economics.

https://www.thetba.co.uk/wp-content/...pact-Study.pdf