Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Schoolmaster

Default Re: Best feed for weight gain

Maybe my post wasn't very clear. Your goal is to get more total calories (or energy, or MJ, same thing) into your horse. The first thing to try is to simply feed more. If you can add a calorie dense feed (such as linseed, or vegetable oil) to his current feed, and he'll eat it -- great! More calories going in.

But if you struggle to feed more because he's already full and simply doesn't have any appetite left, then it might be helpful to leave out some of the less energy dense feed (e.g. the soaked alfabeet) and replace it with something else that is more energy dense. The best way to get your head around that one is to weight the daily ration of each of your feeds (before soaking), and work out how many calories (or rather, megajoules, MJ) each of them contribute. For example: one flat scoop soaked alfabeet contains about 0.5kg dry alfabeet (according to Dengie webpage), which contains 5.25MJ of energy. If you swapped this out for one scoop of dry alfalfa pellets (1.6kg, at 10MJ/kg), you'd be feeding 16MJ of energy. Quite a bit more!

I don't think that swapping to Speedibeet would help. It does have slightly higher energy, but only when you think about the dry amount (12MJ/kg vs. 10.5MJ/kg in the alfabeet). It needs more water to soak though (5x the dry amount), so one flat scoop of soaked speedibeet would only contain around 350g of dry beet, which works out at around 4.2MJ -- actually less than a flat scoop of alfabeet.
    I hope that makes more sense.

Ah yes that makes more sense. I will try either linseed or vegetable oil. I would imagine he would eat that as he clears all his hard feed up.

Quote Originally Posted by moodymare1987 View Post
    I would like a little more condition on my horse. Currently have him on baileys ease and excel and alfabeet which has definitely improved his condition but just want that little bit extra.
    Has two feeds a day and haylage. He isn't a big eater with his haylage He has a good size net at night as he will eat it all. Then he has a smaller morning net and same size lunch net as this is the only way he will eat up. Wastes a lot during the day otherwise.

Is there anything I could use to bulk up his feed. What he is on has really helped him, can be a nervous horse but seems to have really chilled him out.

Any advise would be fab.
    Sorry haven't seen how old your horse is but veteran vitality by Allen & Page is very good for older horses. You can use it with hot water in the winter, just needs three minutes soaking. Brilliant feed and gives them a lovely shiny coat thanks to the Linseed and its also VERY palatable.

Sport horse

Quote Originally Posted by ester View Post
    Get charnwoods (though they do repackage for others, like pure feeds too) they are the only company with the ability to infra red micronise in the UK rather than cooking it.

I find a mug a day doesn't put weight on a good doer, have fed up to 3 mugs a day when in hard work quite happily (obv increased slowly.

I am a big linseed fab but a lot of people also get on with equijewel/other rice bran products.

copra is always a possible too., though some can be fussy with it.

They aren't the only company who can Micronise. D&H were the first feed company to bring micronisation into the equine feed market

Not slacking-multitasking

I also didn't realise they had their own IR set up, perhaps wasn't specific enough and should have said they are the only company in the UK that does produce infra red micronised linseed as I don't think D+H do . Other companies still use the term when they mean a different process- which does result in a different product which is why I point it out.

Quote Originally Posted by hopscotch bandit View Post
    Sorry haven't seen how old your horse is but veteran vitality by Allen & Page is very good for older horses. You can use it with hot water in the winter, just needs three minutes soaking. Brilliant feed and gives them a lovely shiny coat thanks to the Linseed and its also VERY palatable.
    Hi He is 11. I have been advised by Saracen to get him on Releve and Alfa a oil and sea salt. So going to give that a go for a couple of months to see if it does anything. They did say see what he looks like in about 4 weeks get back to them to give idea on if it is helping and then can readjust. Very helpful and want to keep in contact. So fingers crossed we might have it sussed. Time will tell. It is also meant to help chill him out, I have read a lot have had to feed an energy feed as it has chilled them out greatly which would be fab if it does help him then fab. As I think his worrying makes him lose the weight. Massively chilled out since I first got him but still a worrier.