Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Likelihood of mare producing colt v filly based on previous

Its entirely random. Some old wives tales are that the dominant mare will always sire a colt and the sub a filly. My sub was covered alone, and had a filly. The next time the dom and sub were both covered and both had colts so yeah. lol. Another is that age will effect it, dominant mare was 17 so again not true. Another other is condition, but sub was probably in too good condition when she had the filly...so nah

As said, the only way to make sure they have a filly, is sell it before it foals

Also, always always expect the exact opposite of what you want. I wanted a buckskin colt, got a bay filly. I then wanted anything other than a chestnut and you guessed it, chestnut! The third was a "anything will do as long as its healthy" and that one was still born. All the same stallion involved by the way.
    Last edited by equi; 11-03-18 at 08:17 PM.

Just backed

Lol. Thanks again everyone, so the plan is to convince myself i want a filly then pretend to be disappointed if i get a colt. Only daydreaming anyway. Just a glint in a conemarra's eye at this stage! ����

Veteran

I would have preferred a filly but all three of my mare's foals were colts (two different stallions) and all three were chestnut with white socks and white stars, strip and snip. Mare was bay with only a small star. Sire of two of the foals was chestnut with strip and snip and the other was very dark bay with no white.

I think your plan of 'hoping' for a filly is as good as any other!

Veteran

I convinced myself that my maiden mare last year would have a bay filly and this would be the "practice foal". My beloved chestnut SJ gelding is coming up on retirement, so to take over from him I thought this combination could eventually give me a very similar bred/built colt probably bay, hopefully with some white markings. She is a dark bay mare with a black mother and the sire was a bay. You guessed it I got my chestnut colt first attempt!! So wishing for the opposite of what you want is the really is the best way to go... ;-)

Hope you get what you really want!
    Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Trules View Post
    Lol. Thanks again everyone, so the plan is to convince myself i want a filly then pretend to be disappointed if i get a colt. Only daydreaming anyway. Just a glint in a conemarra's eye at this stage! ����
    That’s the tactic. I wanted a chestnut filly, so convinced myself I was getting a bay colt. When the bay colt arrived I had already semi managed my disappointment! The jockey-to-be however was delighted!

Quote Originally Posted by ihatework View Post
    That’s the tactic. I wanted a chestnut filly, so convinced myself I was getting a bay colt. When the bay colt arrived I had already semi managed my disappointment! The jockey-to-be however was delighted!
    I was convinced id get a chestnut filly, but wanted a bay colt. Seriously chuffed when I finally realised he was a he, and bay !