Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Adult dogs and toys......

Teds is a one dog but he spends a lot of time with my parents two whippets. So three dogs in their house quite a bit. They have a big box of toys and have access all the time to play. Never had any issues with guarding of toys.

The older whippet doesn't play so much anymore, but she does like it when we bring a new toy in. So if a new toy is bought, then they all get one. Teds and the younger whippet play together with their toys all the time, they play tug of war over toys but it's all in play, never any aggression. One of them will eventually 'win' and will potter off with the toy and the other will just go get another toy. They are quite laid back characters so perhaps that helps! I don't think any of them think of toys as high value, they just like to play with something, so are quite happy to swap and change between toys, so we just make sure there's enough to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcob View Post
    Pro tip - don't buy a milk liner as a chewy toy and leave it lying around.
    They are a bit suspect aren't they ! Mine never have free access to toys, the shepherds have a ball on a rope which the carry round while I am poo picking field, otherwise they would help with the poo picking. Pickle loves squeaky toys but he can remove the squeak in seconds then starts shredding the toy and eating stuffing so can't really have them. He has tuggy toys for training .

Sport horse

1 working cocker, 2 english springer spaniels (soon to be 4) - all gundogs that work
    No toys as such, definitely nothing that makes a noise, they only have nylabones, antler or buffalo.

Mine have toys but not free acess to them. My WCS would never sleep if they had things to play with.

Generally all they have is kongs/treats balls just to keep them busy for a little while each night.

Veteran

Mine have toys for play time but not lying around. Low value toys are not a problem; I make sure there's enough for everyone and nothing to argue over. High value toys (balls!) are used under strict supervision and as part of playing with humans not with other dogs. If I left a ball lying around, there would definitely be grumbling, or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MurphysMinder View Post
    Pickle loves squeaky toys but he can remove the squeak in seconds then starts shredding the toy and eating stuffing so can't really have them.
    Zak LOVES finding the squeak and destroying it! He pulls out all the stuffing but thank god doesn’t eat it.

Just backed

English Bull Terrier and Rottie. All the toys apparently belong to the EBT and poor Billy is not allowed to even look at them! She has to be shut away before we can play with him.

Old nag

Mine are allowed toys in the house so long as they don’t squeak or make any noise. They’re both working retrievers so I need them to have soft mouths. They mostly carry their toys around like a child would, but the pup has potential to start chewing things so I tend to have “play times” where they are allowed their toys, I will take them off of them when I can’t keep an eye on them- I’m also worried that the pup will learn to take game from another dog if I allow her to take her mums toy. They really do enjoy just carrying their toys though.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamontoast View Post
    Zak LOVES finding the squeak and destroying it! He pulls out all the stuffing but thank god doesn’t eat it.
    Dee too!!! I feel like I've deprived her if I give her a toy without a squeak to find. The quack in the duck toy baffles her though... Mr duck is still mostly intact 6 months in

Old nag

I bought my friend's dog the space hopper toy. Friend put it in a cupboards after 30 minutes and gave me the silent treatment for some time
    It is a form of mental torture....