Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Sport horse
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    278

    Default Is it possible to dye a webbing bridle?

    As title.

    I have a brown webbing bridle which I'd like to dye black.

    Is this do-able please, and if so which is the best dye to use?

    Many thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is it possible to dye a webbing bridle?

    I doubt it would be possible, the webbing is usually some form of plastic (eg polypropylene) and so the material is made that colour rather than dyed.
    Dyeing synthetic materials is harder than natural fibres like cloth and wool, and needs harsher chemicals, I don't know if a home dye would be strong enough.
    Sorry not better suggestions.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Amesbury, Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,080

    Default Re: Is it possible to dye a webbing bridle?

    I do quite a lot of fibre arts including dyeing and would recommend you don't try it. It will be hard even for an experienced dyer to get a good even colour saturation on a tough synthetic like nylon webbing.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is it possible to dye a webbing bridle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Po Knee View Post
    As title.

    I have a brown webbing bridle which I'd like to dye black.

    Is this do-able please, and if so which is the best dye to use?

    Many thanks in advance.
    I don't see why not, I bought blue webbing continental reins in the 1980's at Hickstead and never seen them on sale since. After the blue started to fade I re dyed them blue and it did make them look good again.

  5. #5
    Sport horse
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Is it possible to dye a webbing bridle?

    Many thanks to you all for taking the time to reply.

    On reflection I think I will replace the bridle with a black one at some point.

    Thanks again x

  6. #6
    Veteran cremedemonthe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
    Posts
    4,726

    Default Re: Is it possible to dye a webbing bridle?

    Usually made from polyester as polypropylene is too soft and frays too quickly. There are specialist dyes you can buy for polyester fabric whether or not it would do tight woven webbing I don't know.Here's one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jacquard-iD...=polyester+dye
    I know how to remove the dye from polyester webbing as I often to it by accident when making certain non saddlery products. I have never tried to re dye it though. WHATEVER dye you use, make sure it is not aniline based which is a known (bladder) carcinogen.
    Oz

  7. #7
    Sport horse
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Is it possible to dye a webbing bridle?

    Quote Originally Posted by cremedemonthe View Post
    Usually made from polyester as polypropylene is too soft and frays too quickly. There are specialist dyes you can buy for polyester fabric whether or not it would do tight woven webbing I don't know.Here's one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jacquard-iD...=polyester+dye
    I know how to remove the dye from polyester webbing as I often to it by accident when making certain non saddlery products. I have never tried to re dye it though. WHATEVER dye you use, make sure it is not aniline based which is a known (bladder) carcinogen.
    Oz
    Thank you for the link and the wise advice Oz.

    It might be worth a punt at that price, but it all sounds rather a faff reading the reviews... I'm not sure I have the patience!

  8. #8
    Veteran cremedemonthe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
    Posts
    4,726

    Default Re: Is it possible to dye a webbing bridle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Po Knee View Post
    Thank you for the link and the wise advice Oz.

    It might be worth a punt at that price, but it all sounds rather a faff reading the reviews... I'm not sure I have the patience!
    lol, I seem to be adept at removing the damn dyes on webbing, can help you with that!
    Oz

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Horses For Sale