Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Stiff sore muscles after riding - remedies (for humans!)

Epsom salt bath. Works wonders!

Sport horse

I have a large heated blanket, so I have a good, hot shower and then toast myself on that as much as possible!

If it's just an ache from working muscles that have not done much for a month, then just gentle stretching and exercise.

To my mind, pain killers are only for really bad pain. If the pain is bad, then that part of your body needs rest; you shouldn't take pain killers in order to be able to work that part of your body.

Well, OK, maybe if your life depended on it.

Old nag

Keep going with the riding. A friend of mine went to work at a racing yard. Although she was fit she'd never ridden like a jockey before and was in agony half way through the first day she rode. Her new colleagues all told her she'd be fine by day four if she kept going. Days 2 and 3 were hell, but she woke on day four feeling brilliant. She now insists that you should keep doing the thing that cause the pain for at least four days and your body just adapts and stops hurting.

Rhus Tox is another one like arnica that is good for muscle pain. I took the Pillules form of both when I was doing silly amounts of triathlon training and they did help, the advantage is you can take them alongside paracetamol. Most Nelsons and some numark pharmacies to them in the homeopathy range.

Also yes heat helps sore muscles but alternating between hot and cold actually helps even more, so a reusable ice pack for any particularly sore spots is good.