Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Schoolmaster

Default Re: Hind Suspensory Neurectomy - Outcomes/Views Please?

I've a 20 year old horse, diagnosed with PSD aged 11. Went to have surgery, and found other issues (stifle and SI) which meant not suitable for surgery. For us rehabbing the foot balance and the SI in the long run fixed the PSD by taking pressure off. We went on to do two British Dressage Regionals, post diagnosis first aged 16!

The this horse has always been compromised and hard to keep right, and huge amount of effort and commitment.

I'd say, the key thing with PSD is less how you treat it, and more working out what the underlying cause was and whether that can be resolved or not, to help decide what to do. PSD is nearly always a secondary response to a primary problem. The primary problem causes horse to be compromised, and this compromise shows up as damaged suspensories. Could be working surfaces / foot balance / pain anywhere / conformation / etc.

Some horses when remove cause (if is removable and not say conformation) improve, and resolve PSD issue (like my horse). Others I think primary issue cannot be fixed (in which case surgery not going to help much). Others still you fix primary problem but scar tissue and swelling in PSD ligament areas remain, and also need surgery to make more space and stop small nerve pressing in this area, and go on to do much better post surgery. But be warned sometimes after a number of years the branch nerve cut grows back and pain returns.

I think you need to try and figure out which category your horse falls into. If you are self funding, then no reason cannot wait and see, if can address primary issues if improves, and turn away first, and then have surgery as a back up option.

You can join Facebook just to join the PSD discussion group without setting up more than a restricted profile (but might want to PM a moderator so know it isn't a spam account).

Schoolmaster

My other thought is whether it is worth shopping around for surgery quotes? £3K seems high to be, but I might be out of date. I had in mind more £1,500 plus some after care and bandage changes?

As an aside I have recently taken another horse to a uni vet college (versus an independent one) and the difference in costs was astounding. Far cheaper!!

Worth asking your vet!

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PercyMum View Post
    Thanks All.

I'm not on Facebook so may have to ask a friend look for me. I'm usually pretty sensible and clear cut about these things but I really have no idea what to do in this situation. To not even try and PTS seems terribly hard-faced but it is £3k I don't have (except for a credit card). I do love him but he is a tit, can be tricky to handle and ride and is stupidly high maintenance. He also has melanomas so I don't know how quickly they could start affecting him. Or am I just looking for things to try and force my own decision.

So incredibly stuck its untrue.
    I know how you feel, one of my horses had a psd diagnosis years ago, it was very minor so the op wasn't necessary, I did the shockwave and rehab process and it made no difference, she was turned away for 18 months and came back like nothing had ever been wrong! She is in full work now ready to compete etc, I probably wont be doing as much as I did before as I am conscious of what happened but I am happy she had the long break. She had her shoes removed for the break and was more level from that too, so I am now trying to manage her barefoot aswell.
    My friend had her horse diagnosed with the same and had the op, he has had lots of problems since but still hacking and in low work, she has Rob Jackson treat him a lot and swears if she met him earlier she wouldn't have had the op done.
    Look him up I can imagine the majority of his work is treating psd horses with other connecting issues x