Thread: Marish...

Veteran

Default Marish...

I was wondering what people mean when they refer to their mares being 'marish' or 'hormonal'.
    What behaviour are these mares displaying?
    I have recently broken in a mare, she's 5, and we are just starting to canter. But sometimes when I put my legs on she puts her ears back, swishes her tail and curls up a bit until i give her a stronger sharper leg aid or a tap with the whip when she snaps out of it and rides forward perfectly.
    Is this what you would call 'marish'?

Default Re: Marish...

Polly can be mildly Mareish, but hers is more that you don’t know what side of the bed she’s got out of!

She’s either very sweet, loving and affectionate... or she just about tolerates being groomed and touched. There’s no inbetween. She’d never bite me, but she is prone to an occasional face pull. I find her completely hilarious.

My mare puts her ears back and swishes her tail when the geldings annoy her. It's quite funny to watch. I don't know whether that applies under saddle though do I don't want to speculate

Schoolmaster

Not sure but that’s what my mare started to do and turned out she had ulcers. She may well have been being married as well though

That's not necessarily Marish ... I think of marish as Jekyll and Hyde personality tbh.. and can be v opinionated

I have a very marish mare. Her moods can change in an instant. One minute she's sweetness and light the next it's I hate everybody. She absolutely hates the gelding in the next stable but loved the one next but two to her. Very opinionated and will certainly let me know if she's not happy with something, ears back and tail swishing. We do get on very well though and completely understand each other. Think it's a girl thing.

Veteran

Neither of my mares have been mareish, and it's too early to say with my filly. To me, marish refers to hormonal behaviour, both on the ground and ridden, so mood swings, grumpiness etc. Alice could be a bit of a squealer and a flirt when she was in season, but even then she was always fine to ride. With Mary, you never even know that she's having a season!

Veteran

I don't really like it as a term tbh - my gelding is far more Jekyll and Hyde than either of my mares, but I wouldn't describe him as geldingish, it's just his personality. One of my mares would very probably be described as mareish, but that's only because she doesn't suffer fools gladly. It may seem like she was being irrational when she snapped at you, but it was actually a perfectly rational response to your annoying behaviour

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by blitznbobs View Post
    That's not necessarily Marish ... I think of marish as Jekyll and Hyde personality tbh.. and can be v opinionated
    Ah I understand. I think mines just green, is asking the question 'do I really have to do that?' She used to do it a bit when we started trot work and we got through it. Thanks