Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Horse is “off” but not lame (confused)

Bear in mind a slowly brewing abscess as a 2nd option. They can sometimes take an age to become obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle1109 View Post
    Yes some else mention devils claw
    I’ll have to see if I can’t get it here (dubai)
    He is on Bute now and he rode very well today I’ve cut his hard feed but only yesterday so that wouldn’t have an impact yet I also got advice from baileys feed and they revcommened a feed with lest starch like a little cal balancer (he’s on a cool mix at the mo)
    He gets cortaflex
    Next week will be the tell tale when he is off the Bute
    If the problem comes back then the vet will be called in
    I’m hoping it’s more behaviour / feed problem - and the other day day was him just being “off” and tired

Fingers crossed
    If he went well today, after bute, that would indicate that it is pain related. You really shouldn't be riding a horse with an undiagnosed lameness on bute - if he has done something, the bute will mask the lameness, and may make the injury worse. I know he's an older horse, and will have progressively more stiff days, but as it came on quite suddenly, I'd suggest not working him until a vet has seen him - just to be on the safe side.
    I have no fundamental objection to giving an older horse a bit of bute to enable it to stay in light work, and keep it mobile - but not without first finding out what's wrong.
    Vets with Horsepower: Trans-European 'Play It Again, Sam' Tour 2012
    Raising money for SPANA; supporting the welfare of working animals in developing countries. http://www.justgiving.com/horsepower2012

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
    If he went well today, after bute, that would indicate that it is pain related. You really shouldn't be riding a horse with an undiagnosed lameness on bute - if he has done something, the bute will mask the lameness, and may make the injury worse. I know he's an older horse, and will have progressively more stiff days, but as it came on quite suddenly, I'd suggest not working him until a vet has seen him - just to be on the safe side.
    I have no fundamental objection to giving an older horse a bit of bute to enable it to stay in light work, and keep it mobile - but not without first finding out what's wrong.
    Hi this was also my immediate thought, I'd want to know what I was dealing with before giving bute. My horse was "off" last year, behind the leg in walk and when asked to trot, just didn't want to. As this was completely out of character I knew there was something wrong. He had hurt his back probably pratting about in the field. My old boy had some arthritis in his hocks but it came on gradually and was more noticeable if he was ridden after being stabled overnight. There was a definite pattern, he could feel lame initially but with a slow warm up he felt better and it was obvious in canter that his near hind didn't come under quite as well as the off hind.

Quote Originally Posted by oldie48 View Post
    Hi this was also my immediate thought, I'd want to know what I was dealing with before giving bute. My horse was "off" last year, behind the leg in walk and when asked to trot, just didn't want to. As this was completely out of character I knew there was something wrong. He had hurt his back probably pratting about in the field. My old boy had some arthritis in his hocks but it came on gradually and was more noticeable if he was ridden after being stabled overnight. There was a definite pattern, he could feel lame initially but with a slow warm up he felt better and it was obvious in canter that his near hind didn't come under quite as well as the off hind.
    Yup appreciate all of the above
    He was ridden in a walk and a few small transitions as directed by the vet as they wanted videos (they are booked solid so advised this)
    Vetvia booked - he was trotted up again and nothing is showing
    But still I’m getting the vet out to give him the once over
    I do believe it was stiffness in the old boy but he is my boy and I’ll be doing what ever it takes to get him comfortable again

Ps
    He is still a prat and is happy as Larry
    Fingers crossed it’s juat a bit of age and nothing more serious