Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse is “off” but not lame (confused)

Hi all
    Not sure if this is the right place but hoping to get some sane advice

My horse was “off” last night and this morning, he hasn’t shown any signs on lameness no heat no uncomfortable positions etc

His back end just wasn’t right yesterday he kept him self short in trot, after a left rein canter he did loosen up but tanked off with me on the right rein

He is 21!!!! But fit and healthy and can be very spooky at times he is still a fairly hot horse considering his age - he is of good pedegree
    He wa trotted up this morning and I was told he wasn’t lame jus “off”

Can anyone give me examples if you have faced the same problem
    Like I say no heat no tenderness not over compensating in walk and trot
    Just “off”
    Can someone explain this term in greater details ?
    Please help!!

Default Re: Horse is “off” but not lame (confused)

Arthritis?
    Our online blog is just a click away @ www.facebook.com/DiamondsintheRoughDressage

Sounds like you might need to get the vet out for a lameness examination. He may not be lame but the vet will be able to spot any signs that he is not moving correctly and then ascertain why before carrying out any nerve blocks or further investigations. It could well be arthritis given his age and the fact he tanked off would suggest he is running from discomfort somewhere.

I sometimes use the term "off" when they are a bit stiff for some reason and turning out or exercise allows them to loosen up, it doesn't really mean anything specific and often gets used when a horse is very slightly lame or bilaterally lame so they appear sound to the inexperienced eye, as suggested arthritis can show up like this in the early stages, horse is a bit uncomfortable and holding itself carefully rather than being obviously lame, at 21 it is fairly likely that he will have a few aches and pains so getting a vet to check may prevent it getting worse at what may be an early stage.

Thanks guys
    Will be checking him again when I Get to the stable tonight and I think you could be correct ......... the devil arthritis could of final arrived

Just backed

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle1109 View Post
    Thanks guys
    Will be checking him again when I Get to the stable tonight and I think you could be correct ......... the devil arthritis could of final arrived
    If it is arthritis, it may not be as bad as you think! He’s a good age and it may mean he needs to slow down a little, but often they are better kept in work. He may never move as freely as he once did but as long as he’s comfortable it shouldn’t matter. Definitely worth getting vet out to check though

Thanks all
    I’m feeling the positive vibes hahahhaha!!!
    I did have to retire him for our exercise tonight as he just wasn’t right and was extreamly reluctant to go forward
    It could be he is jut tired .... old man syndrome ha!

Vet is booked and I’m keeping his active hours of hand Walks and paddocks

Might be joints or could be muscle stiffness? I’d get vet to check and if no immediate issues I’d then get a physio out. My boy will feel a bit off in general if he’s due a treatment on his back (he is 21)

High upon a hillside stencilface's Avatar

Mine is like this Atm and I have remembered that my devil's claw supplement ran out a little while ago. Would anything like that be good? I'll be honest mine's had so many lameness investigations now he's 17 I went for rest a d herbal bute and he seems himself again

Quote Originally Posted by stencilface View Post
    Mine is like this Atm and I have remembered that my devil's claw supplement ran out a little while ago. Would anything like that be good? I'll be honest mine's had so many lameness investigations now he's 17 I went for rest a d herbal bute and he seems himself again

Yes some else mention devils claw
    I’ll have to see if I can’t get it here (dubai)
    He is on Bute now and he rode very well today I’ve cut his hard feed but only yesterday so that wouldn’t have an impact yet I also got advice from baileys feed and they revcommened a feed with lest starch like a little cal balancer (he’s on a cool mix at the mo)
    He gets cortaflex
    Next week will be the tell tale when he is off the Bute
    If the problem comes back then the vet will be called in
    I’m hoping it’s more behaviour / feed problem - and the other day day was him just being “off” and tired

Fingers crossed