Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Weight bearing laminitis

Quote Originally Posted by Bertolie View Post
    I had my mare tested for EMS yesterday. Diagnosed with laminitis at the end of June. Rotation in both fronts with some sinking. On a strict diet to lose weight but its not working so we arranged to test for EMS. We did the Karo Light test rather than glucose and she only needed to be fasted for 3-6 hours. She did have the appearance of a child that had just consumed a tube of blue smarties 😂 and it did take more sedation than usual to take the xrays we had planned! Just have to wait for results now.
    Oh I didnít realise there was another test! I will ask the vet about this on Monday. I am expecting we will be having the vet quite regularly so Iím sure we can fit this in for the next visit - will try and make sure we donít need x-rays on the same day 😂 fingers crossed you get the result you are hoping for (whatever that may be - Iím actually praying for something to medicate in mine!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlsasinger View Post
    OP, if the ACTH test still comes back within normal range, ask for the TRH test. We were suspicious that one of ours had Cushings, she kept testing 'within normal range' on ACTH test but when vet did TRH test, she was *eight* times over the usual limit. Unfortunately by that time the Prascend didn't make so much difference.
    Thanks for replying! Iíve actually read your posts on H&H and from your story I was planning on asking for the THR test rather than the ACTH test. So sorry you didnít get the result you needed sooner - we rely so much on vet medicine but it just goes to show that sometimes instincts are much more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbilygum View Post
    Oh I didnít realise there was another test! I will ask the vet about this on Monday. I am expecting we will be having the vet quite regularly so Iím sure we can fit this in for the next visit - will try and make sure we donít need x-rays on the same day 😂 fingers crossed you get the result you are hoping for (whatever that may be - Iím actually praying for something to medicate in mine!)
    We did the Karo Light as she has laminitis at present and its the better of the two for that reason. In a strange way i am hoping she is metabolic as that would not only explain the laminitis but possibly why we cannot get any weight off of her even though she is on a strict diet of 1.5% of bodyweigh a day. There has to be some underlying reason for the lack of weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertolie View Post
    We did the Karo Light as she has laminitis at present and its the better of the two for that reason. In a strange way i am hoping she is metabolic as that would not only explain the laminitis but possibly why we cannot get any weight off of her even though she is on a strict diet of 1.5% of bodyweigh a day. There has to be some underlying reason for the lack of weight loss.
    Fingers crossed for you - definitely sounds like something is going on with her; mine is looking slimmer in the past week on 2% hay rations + two buckets of fast fibre a day so I agree with your thinking that no weight loss with 1.5% rations seems off!