Veteran

Default Re: Dressage German based v French based training

oh no, not philhorseyfy again

Get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tristar View Post
    oh no, not philhorseyfy again
    Phil who now?
    Love a lot, trust a few, but always paddle your own canoe...

TOWING CLINIC
    = http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...d.php?t=490195

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho! View Post
    Phil who now?
    Phil horsefy - leading figure in the Mongolian dressage school

Quote Originally Posted by DabDab View Post
    Phil horsefy - leading figure in the Mongolian dressage school
    Not to be confused with philhorseyfly, his somewhat more annoying twin.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by greybadger_19 View Post
    Not to be confused with philhorseyfly, his somewhat more annoying twin.
    Ah no, he's from the Transylvanian school

Whole thing confuses me - I read the books (e.g. Philippe Karl) and they sound great, but then finding an actual person who rides like that is quite hard. Often those who say they are very light in the hand, are not light elsewhere. I'm hypermobile and absolutely cannot apply too much force anywhere (or I will hurt myself). I've also got various horses with physical 'issues'. They can't be forced, and I won't lose their trust by trying, either.

As a young adult, I explored Natural Horsemanship (lots of reading and watching, no particular following of a 'brand'), and enjoyed riding bareback and bridleless, jumping and playing in the school, having fun building a good relationship. Then I learned as much as possible about dressage and tried to mix the two. I now have a few horses who are products of that. When fit - light in both hand and leg, react almost to my thoughts through body language/weight. Absolutely gorgeous to ride for me (and we got up the dressage ladder a bit before I took a break to have children), but they don't then respond well to heavier aids, which can be a problem if I want someone else to ride when I'm ill or away on holiday.

I would say - choose a person who rides the way you like, and accept their instruction! Schools of thought don't always translate the same way across individual trainers.

Veteran

maya2008, `finding someone who actually rides like this is quite hard` is an indisputable truth to me, the world is full of philhorseyfy [and his various relatives monty , parelli, gods of the dressage arena etc]

but who are the real deal , actually riding in a way we wish to see.? who can actually do it.

i was on a yard in france where there was 50 iberian stallions, all ridden and in the course of one day watched a french ecurie de dressage
    who trained in portugal for 9 years who also studied baucher training a german rider who was there with three warmblood horses and all i learned exactly nothing, and saw nothing that i wanted to replicate, all three systems not functioning all at once

when i see, good riding it stays in my mind forever, like a vision of inspiration to replay.

i see iberian, german and some french ways of riding as very different,due to the postural differences of the riders

today too much talk, not enough riding, how often do people ride,? not enough to make real progress i suspect.

who are you defining as "people" in that last sentence, tristar?

Most of the trainers I've found useful ride regularly, some don't have their own horses any more, others ride more than me and I have 2 in full work so spend mostly 2 hours a day in the saddle. That said from a trainers POV I don't think it's essential, tbh, if you can train horses and riders well then what you do in your free time is kind of irrelevant to me, if I had a good trainer I wouldn't care if they spent all their other time waterskiing tbh

Get on with it.

I don't think, post riding school, I've ever had a trainer that didn't ride and practise what they preach - I wouldn't have gone to them otherwise (it actually feels more like they just appeared at opportune moments to me). The trainers I have now I can watch them ride different horses and my own horse whenever I want and it's actually considered part of my own education.

Anyway, we're all on our own journey.

I've watched friends ascend the BD levels using what works for them. I don't personally agree with their methods but I'm not about to fall out over it and they don't like what I do and wonder why I fell off the stressage train. I have my own beliefs, they have theirs. Things can change. Ultimately, we all make choices to fulfil our own goals of the moment. For some that is achievement that can be physically measured. For others, it's getting to know Phil Horsefy in a questionably intimate manner...
    Love a lot, trust a few, but always paddle your own canoe...

TOWING CLINIC
    = http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...d.php?t=490195